Monday, December 15, 2008

DAY ONE: An understood Christmas


We’ve talked on this blog so many times about how radical the Gospel is. And we have discussed how its revolutionary nature is quite often ignored, even by those who claim to live by it. Or, perhaps, I should be more generous and say that the core of the Gospel is simply misunderstood (I have been in a great discussion on another blog about GENEROSITY). In my little opinion, there is no other time of year when this contradiction is more in-your-face than Christmas.

I thought it might be interesting, from now until Christmas Day, to try and understand Christmas in a Gospel sort of way. This idea may not excite all of you, so I’ll see you December 26, but until then, let’s pick apart Christmas.

You will not likely read any catchy little phrases like “Keep Christ in Christmas” or “Jesus is the Reason for the Season” here, so consider yourself warned. As cliché as Christmas has become, it certainly wasn’t so when God chose to be hemmed in by skin.

So, tomorrow we will jump into who begat who, or maybe we’ll investigate what transpired before, kind of like reading the prologue to Christmas.

I fully recognize that many of the people who read this blog are not even sure that God is real, let alone whether Jesus was the man-form of this doubtable God. If you know me in person, you know that I have no notion whatsoever that it’s my job to convince or persuade anyone of anything. God doesn’t need me to defend Him. As always, I will tell you the story of God as I have learned to understand it – through Scripture, experience, tradition and reason. You may take it or you may leave it. Either response can be found in the Gospels, too.

Are you in?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in. I've been trying to figure out why I haven't had my "great inspiration from Above" recently with some huge questions lingering overhead, when many many previous times in my life I have. Many times it's been indirectly that I've gotten my "Notice" so I'll be here, reading daily. I don't expect a direct answer from God, but I'm hoping that perhaps something you may say here will be what I need to hear. Like God's Game of Tag if you will.