Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pride cometh before the fall...

I am really crazy about my children. As a matter of fact, I must admit to some pride.

My eldest humbled me yesterday, however.

I heard some rustling yesterday morning about 5:00 am. I figured someone was using the bathroom and allowed myself a few more minutes to doze even though I am usually up at that time.

I woke with a start at 6:15 am, realizing I had overslept, and ran into my son’s room to wake him as well. He was under the covers as he is most mornings, so it never occurred to me that he had been up and around already.

Minutes before the bus was to arrive, he asked me if the printer to the family computer is working. I explained that it is, but is running low on ink, so he’d better use Dad’s printer. I then innocently asked why he needed to print something when it was almost time to catch the bus.

I won’t bore you with every sordid detail, but suffice it to say that Noah had gotten up at 5:00 am to write a major English paper that he was supposed to be working on for the entire Christmas break. And, yes, he was back in bed at 6:15 am.

The paper was based on “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder. Just like its character, Emily, Noah was asked to ponder the important things in his life that he takes for granted – things that he would realize are precious if he suddenly died.

Hmmmm. I can immediately think of a variety of things he could choose from, not the least of which is his mother’s steadfast love and attention.

What do you suppose Noah wrote about?

SHOWERS (yes, the kind where you use shampoo), WEARING CLOTHES (there was even a forced reference to those poor naked countries where people apparently are forced to work in the nude) and HANGING WITH FRIENDS AT SCHOOL.

I have been purged of my hubris. Thank you, Lord.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Well, while writing a paper in a half asleep state... there is not mind power for writing about deep meaningful thankfulness.

A lesson might be learned if Mrs. Mom made him write another paper where he has to think deeper than cleaning and friends haha.

carey said...

I admire his ability to: a) care that he hadn't done it and needed to turn something in and, b) desire to smell nice around his friends.

Perhaps he'll grow up to become an ad executive who thinks up better commercials for AXE men's body wash.

#4s Mom said...

Noah might have your genes. He does his best writing when everyone else is asleep!

Momof5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.