Monday, October 5, 2009

Hoping for a gassy decade







Yesterday was my birthday. Birthdays are funny things, aren’t they? I tend to do more reflecting than I usually do on my birthday and this year was no exception.

I also ran out of gas yesterday. Running out of gas is an ongoing issue with me, although I must say I am far better than I was in my 20s and 30s. I think it is only the second time this year I have needed rescuing and my friends, Beth and Kristin, faced the death defying traffic with me.

You know, in my life I have done all sorts of things. Some things have been admirable and some have been terrible (dear David Letterman). Most situations I have caused (like not stopping for gas) and others I have fallen victim to. Regardless, a lot of forgiveness has been required – a lot.

One of the most difficult things to do is to forgive one’s self. Even Christians, who know they have been forgiven by a gracious God, can struggle with letting themselves feel free from their own judgment. Our pasts, and our presents, can be haunting things.

Here’s the thing, though. Just like my gas situation, God and I have watched me change. Over the years of knowing Him, I have learned to look for redemptive things in the people around me, and sometimes I even find them in me as well. Sticking close to Him has helped me deal with shame, and truly live forgiven.

I am not what I was in my 20s and 30s. Yesterday I was 42. Maybe when I’m 50, I will have a gas-filled decade.

Live forgiven.

5 comments:

Todd said...

I ran out of gas last month two hours from home on the Florida Turnpike. It had been over a decade since the last time, but still! In my 20s my gas gauge didn’t work properly so it was kind of understandable back then. But now my gauge works AND lights, bells and whistles alert me well before it’s too late. I even get the location of nearby gas stations along with the fastest routes to help me flee my situation. Seriously! I’ve been doing this for 20 years! You’d think I’d get it by now! Living forgiven . . .

Cuzzin Wayne said...

Happy Birthday Wendy ... I hope you had a great day and I hope that petroleum gas is the only one you struggle with in the gassy decade

I love you cousin

Anonymous said...

Get yourself a AAA membership. When you run out of gas, they will be there for you. ;)

Happy Birthday!!!

#4s Mom said...

Yes, but AAA would not have taken pictures for the blog!

pshoff6 said...

Happy Birthday to a wonderful woman!!