Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Bearing gifts

If you have followed the blog for some time, you know that we have adopted 4 stray cats. I never had cats growing up, and I am learning what fascinating little animals they are.

They are constantly bringing me gifts. Usually, they bring mice indoors and leave them in my slippers. One even left a full size rabbit under Mia’s bed last Spring.

This week, however, they have been baffling me. Last Friday, I left a bag of Halloween candy downstairs in the family room – which is probably the farthest point from my bedroom, and each morning when I wake up there are little candies by my bed. None of the candies are open, but they keeping picking out the same kind.

Let me be sure you understand. There must be 20 different kinds of candy – Sweet Tarts, Reese’s, Laffy Taffy, Snickers – but they have been digging through the bag and selecting the mini Hershey bars – Krackel bars and Dark chocolates .

I find this so amusing, that I continue to leave the bag of candy unattended, just to see if it will keep happening. Is it the color? Is it the smell? Did Hershey pay them a fee for product placement?
I was sitting and laughing with my husband about it, watching our beloved Phillies, when Mia noticed that one of the cats was playing with something in my closet. She was rolling around with my shoes, shaking something back and forth. I got up to check, thinking it was chewing my belt, when I suddenly realized the belt was moving – all on its own.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was weeding the flowerbed at my office and picked up what I thought was a rather large worm. I realized once it was in my hand that it was exactly what your husband is holding. I did the scream and wiggle dance for all of Germantown Pike to see. And I haven't finished weeding that bed.

Momof5 said...

They were paying you off in knowing that the snake was coming in hoping to ease the pain for you. You could doctor your hysteria fit with some chocolate.
My sister's cat used to open the unopened box of poptarts take out one package and open it up and eat one. It had to be the chocolate and none other..silly creatures!
BTW, my daughter at the age of two brought me two of nature's belts...saweet! And God just laughed!