Monday, August 17, 2009

Risky business



In Cooperstown last week, I saw this banner on the side of the Cooperstown airport. It amused me so much, that I took a picture of it the morning I was leaving town. I wasn’t sure how, but I knew it did more than make me laugh, it stirred something in me that I could not define.

Then I was listening to a sermon yesterday about Solomon. It was fairly interesting, but it was what the pastor said at the start of the service that kept my wheels spinning.

She talked about the risk involved with following Christ. I wondered if I, as an American Christian, have reduced my faith to such a degree that I have come to expect that it should make me safe.

There is no such guarantee with Christ. As a matter of fact, He declared that following Him required that we walk the narrow way – the road less traveled – and most of us long for the comfort and security of the wider path. Less obstacles, less pot holes, right? I guess that’s why Jesus followed up by saying that few would find it.

Perhaps a good question to ask ourselves is, “When was the last time I was really uncomfortable, inconvenienced and had to DARE to walk as Jesus walked?” If you can’t remember the last time that following Christ cost you something, you made need to reflect a little on what it is you are really following.

Recently, for me, it cost a little of my reputation. It really was hard, because I hate being rejected by anyone at anytime. I also am known for being pretty open and accepting amongst my non-believing friends. But this time, I just couldn’t agree when asked directly, and there have been whispers behind my back about my close-mindedness ever since.

The other thing to remember is that when risk is involved, failure often follows. I have grown to suspect that God overlooks some of my errors because He loves my passion. When Peter jumped out of the boat to walk on water, Jesus grabbed him when Peter started to sink, then later Jesus said that He would build His church on this same sinking Peter. God is interested in the heart, so don’t be afraid to try because you are afraid to fail. Real failure is never risking at all.

So, today I am lamenting 41 years of relatively safe following. I hope that the years ahead will be risky business.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Truly following Christ is risky business. I know I state the obvious, but real life has a way of proving this true.

Steve in Central Ca

carey f said...

I'm not even sure I qualify as "relatively safe"! I'd be happy to take baby steps, but I admit I'm not sure how. Suggestions?