Monday, February 16, 2009

Just between us

This kingdom journey that we’re on, if we are Christians, is profoundly social. Anyone who says, “My spiritual life is private. It’s just between me and God,” deeply misunderstands both God and himself/herself. God is in Himself a sweet society of love where Three Persons complete a social matrix. AND Jesus gave us a sure mark of our spiritual formation by saying, “Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.” The nature of God, and His people who are made in His image, is inherently communal.

I was talking to an old friend this weekend, one who I used to see every day, but now only catch a glimpse of occasionally. We were mourning the loss of one another and of the community we once shared. When God cements people together, He means it, and there is a very real grieving that follows a loss.

What I am more concerned with, though, is not the changing or shifting of relationships – that is part of life – but I fear the idea that some of us have that we do not need each other to be formed spiritually. You are critical to my life with God, and I am critical to yours. What an awesome responsibility and privilege we have as we encourage one another!

This truth extends to our need for church. I have a friend who is disillusioned with the church and always says to me, “Wendy, I can find God far more easily out in the woods walking by myself than in a pew on Sunday morning.”

Hear me out on this. I do believe that there are destructive churches out there – ones that have damaged and terribly hurt people. I am deeply sorry if this is the way you feel, and I apologize for unloving Christians. Sometimes we just don’t get it. I also believe that the smells and sights and sounds of nature are a great way to experience the Creator and His genius.

On the flip side, though, God uses community to refine and renew us - to TRANSFORM us. The gathering of people (i.e. church) is one of the ways that God speaks and teaches and comforts and reveals Himself. But we need to submit to community.

We really do need each other and we really do need church. You can help God smooth out my rough edges and prickly parts. I’d love to do the same for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, you have made me rethink my belief in belonging to a Church.

thanks, wendy!

Anonymous said...

Well said, Wendy! My relationship with God's people, when it gets broken, is not unlike a broken bone. I may be frustrated with it, I may not be relishing the healing process, but I still take my medicine and set the bone. I do it because I'm "pre-wired" to have the use of that bone (I think I just mixed my metaphor). It would just be silly to say, "I'm not interested in walking again...that's how I got hurt in the first place." When I run from God's people, I am running from the very community for which I am formed.

Thanks for tackling this issue.

Anonymous said...

Wendy,

I also know of some "walk in the woods" people and I loved your reasoning on why the church community is so important. Once again- wonderfully articulated!