Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lovelessness

Sometimes you have to go backward to see ahead. Today, let’s talk about lovelessness instead of love itself. Hopefully, a look at the wrong will help us with the right.

There is a book that I highly recommend entitled, Renovation of the Heart in Daily Practice, by Dallas Williard. Dr. Williard writes this about lovelessness in it:

Sin in our social dimension takes two forms of lovelessness: assault (attack) and withdrawal (distancing). If spiritual formation in Christ is to succeed, the power of assault and withdrawal must be broken so they are eliminated as indwelling realities or as postures we take toward others. They also must be successfully disarmed as they come toward us. They must be eliminated in our social environment - family or household, those with whom we work or play, our community – but especially in the fellowship of Christ’s followers.

We assault others when we act against what is good for them, even with their consent….We withdraw from others when we are indifferent to their well-being or perhaps even despise them. We “don’t care.” Withdrawal is usually a form of assaulting those we withdraw from. And assault usually involves distancing ourselves as well.

Spiritual formation in Christ will mean becoming persons who would not (and therefore do not) assault others. A verbal assault (which can be done in refined as well as brutal ways – we speak of a “cutting remark”) is specifically designed to hurt its object and to inflict loss of respect in a person’s own eyes and before others. Many people never recover from a particular verbal assault, harassment, or degrading treatment….But withdrawal also wounds. The tongue can assault by withdrawal, by not speaking.

As assault and withdrawal are eliminated, the social area of our lives becomes what God intended: constant mutual blessing. Every contact with a human being should be one of goodwill and respect, with a readiness to make way for the other in suitable ways.

We’re not going to get to the depths of this in one post, but even if we just think about our own tendencies - do I attack or withdraw or both? – it would be a start. Be sure and see the subtleties as well – simply being indifferent to someone’s well-being is lovelessness. Love PROMOTES good, it doesn’t just cease hostilities. In other words, it is far more than doing no harm.

1 comment:

Jared said...

Dang you Wendy, I have a love/hate thing going on with you right now. I love the fact that you've made me think about how I react and I hate that I've discovered that my withdrawing is not the best. But I guess that's what happens when you have some sort of community with a person, even if it's virtual. Anyways, I guess I need to reexamine my dealings with those that are less than generous and allow God to change my disposition when I deal with such people. Thanks again!