Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A litmus life

I understand the idea of New Year’s resolutions, and I know why we make them at the beginning of a new year. I suspect, however, that we should rethink the whole deal here in the east. Perhaps we should make “Mid-May Resolutions” – find a time of year when it is easier to stick to that “extra outdoor walking” that we committed ourselves to. It has been too cold to move here in Philadelphia.

Since we are past January, perhaps many of us have given up on those whispered promises we made at 11:37 pm on December 31. I made two, which I am happy to report are still in the works (one being the use of a day timer). When the dentist’s office called last week to remind me of my appointment, it was the first time in years that I already knew before I answered the phone.

One thing I did differently this year is put more accountability into my life. I have had accountability in the past, but I always chose girlfriends that let me off the hook too easily if I gave up or failed. I handily chose these friends over and over. Not this year.

I am accountable to my agent for writing (deadlines, ugh). I am accountable to a friend for eating. I am accountable to my children for the day timer thing (believe me, children REMEMBER to check on you). Basically, I chose real litmus people – people who love me, but also hound me with the truth.

It’s hard to have a litmus life. It would be far easier to whisper promises to myself so that when I am unsuccessful, no one knows but me or to have secret dreams that I never share, so that I can stay afraid to try. Submitting to community is far more difficult than living with just me, because I seem to always let myself off the hook.

Find a truth-teller. They hurt, but they’re worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will gladly tell you the truth anytime you are feeling like you need to be accountable for something.
you just let me know! when it comes to doling out advice and truthisms, i'm a pro.