Monday, January 12, 2009

A dangerous post

Most of you are keenly aware that I live in a suburb of Philadelphia. We natives fully recognize that we have a bad reputation, and if we’re honest, we sort of like it.

Take our sports teams, for instance. We are over the top ridiculous and fanatical about the Phillies, Eagles and Flyers – the Sixers have been held in suspicion since Dr. J retired, but that’s a story for another day. We were the only NFL franchise to have a court located INSIDE THE STADIUM so a judge could process all the arrests during game time, so for me to criticize my own is an extremely dangerous proposition. If there is no blog post tomorrow morning, call 9-1-1.

Naturally, I was sitting in front of my TV yesterday afternoon, with every other Philadelphian, watching the Eagles take on the Giants. It was a hard fought game, what FOX was billing as the NFC Grudge Match, and the amount of fighting and trash-talking that appeared to be going on proved FOX’s point.

Not until the last quarter was it apparent that the Eagles would win. It was a real nail biter, as my father-in-law says. In the final minutes, our quarterback, Donovan McNabb did something that I want to talk about today.

Donovan ran out of bounds with the football, and his own momentum propelled him into the Giants sideline. He took the opportunity to rub the looming defeat in a little, and picked up the Giant’s team phone to call the Giants coaching booth. It was a little immature, honestly, but not the end of the world.

But then he got my goat. During a post-game interview, when asked how he felt about the game, Donovan said, on national TV, “First of all, God is so good.”

Ugh.

Now this may surprise those of you who accuse me of being a bleeding-heart-liberal-no mention-of-sin-bending-grace-so-far-it-will-break kind of person (yes, I do read your emails) but it drives me NUTS when athletes credit God with helping them win a football game. I am not implying that it is beyond the abilities of God to intervene, but I often wonder why He would choose to do so. How would it advance His kingdom?

So, you can imagine what I was feeling when Donovan pulled his little “in your face, Giants” phone shenanigan and then credited God for handing the team a victory. I turned to look at my husband, who knows me better than any other human being, and he already had an ear to ear grin on his face, waiting for my reaction.

“Why, oh, why do they do that?” I said, incensed.

“Do what?” Steve was still smiling.

“You know what,” I replied, “with people starving all over the world, do football players really believe that God is concerned with the outcome of a game?”

“Maybe,” was all he said.

“What do you mean, maybe?”

“Maybe God likes it when players remind viewers of His name, when they represent Him on TV.” Steve braced himself.

Let me just interrupt our conversation a minute. I am not completely unreasonable even though I can come on a little strong at times. I took at least a nano second to consider my husband’s theory before passionately defending my position.

“Are you crazy?” was how I began our reasonable exchange of ideas and thoughts. “No, I should be thanking you because you have proven my point about Donovan. When he uses God’s name on TV, he must remember that he now represents Him on some level, so why that little stunt with the telephone? Would God rub someone’s defeat in their face? God may be good, but Donovan apparently is not.” I gave the last word a little extra emphasis because I was ready for the case to go to the jury.

Steve just kept smiling, because he knew I would let it all marinate for a while, over thinking it from every angle.

I do not have a profound conclusion - and I admit that I do dumb stuff almost every day - but from my current ungracious point of view, I still think to whom much is given, much is expected.
Your thoughts?

10 comments:

Todd said...

I didn’t like what Donovan did or said either, but here are a couple things. First, the Eagles couldn’t have won that game without God. The nature of His involvement is debatable, but Donovan technically correct in what he said. Second, there were thousands of good conversations about God after the interview, and at least one good blog. God uses our stupid stuff just as much as our good, even if we don’t always see it. And I'm guessing He uses our stupid stuff way more than our inaction - way more than if Donovan didn't say anything.

Anonymous said...

"...to whom much is given, much is expected." I'm with you, Wendy. I've justified the "thanking God" remarks as they are thanking Him for their talent and their being in the right place at the right time. God was never so random to just pick anyone to do his tasks in the bible, it was all pretty majorly arranged and determined. But these athletes are in the right place at the right time with the right talent. And what about those who have the talent and its never developed fully? Who knows how many other great wide receivers are out there but dont get the opportunity because of one thing or another.
And if they are going to Thank God, then remember to be HUMBLE. Some of these guys give thanks without feeling it. Like a worthless wedding vow.
: )

Anonymous said...

...I have to stand up with my cousin Wendy on this one. Athletes tend to give God credit but only when they win...when it is beneficial to them.
I wonder how we would respond to Eli Manning saying that they tried thier best but God didn't want them to win...if God blessed/loves the Phillies is he punishing/hates the Giants?
Athletes certainly have God-given talents that they use in a game but I do not think for a minute that God has a hand in the outcome of any game. When my boss congratulates me for doing a good job & closing a deal how would I sound if I answered with religious rhetoric? I don't think God forces my customer to buy from me even though I thank God for the blessings that I receive as well as the gifts and talents he has bestowed on me.
Our faith needs to be every day & in all situations not just when we are in the limelight.

Anonymous said...

My favorite concept of "temporary faith" is leaving the parking lot after a church service (recently). There was so much anger and hostility MINUTES after the service ended and such a lack of patience with people trying to get out of their "lot". It was laughable that no one could just "let it go". Too many people use Faith when it suits them and not as a daily guide. MAKES ME SO MAD!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Ok, so take a forward moment (if you have DVR it works better) and look right after the FOX interview with the quarterback in question. There were 6 eagles and 3 giants, holding hands in a post game circle - heads bowed - praying, perhaps giving thanks for safety or something worthwhile ??

I had to rewind the dvr but it is there and that brought a tear to my eye. Now, in perspective.... was that much more profound than debating wether donovan had the right to use the phone in an arrogant display and then thank God for the 60 minutes of the game before and after the 2 seconds where he made an error in judgement.

Dear Lord, help me, if I was criticized for my error(s) in Judgement and then questioned when I gave praise I would be better off as an ... um, agnostic?

Love ya Wen :)

Wendy Melchior said...

SO much to discuss here, but let me start with a question... If a player is injured, did God NOT protect him? We are actually debating a HUGE theological issue here. Does God regularly intervene in the world, making seeming random decisions about some people and not others OR are injuries and winning (and health and losing and anything else you can think of) just part of living and God is "hands off" in most (or all or none) situations?

Anonymous said...

I'm a sports nut. I know this is a trend for the last decade or so, this effort by Christian athletes to "touch not His glory" and therefore deflect everything toward God first. When it happens, I often feel what you have felt here. I'm also reminded of Jesus' comments to John (Mark 9) when John got up in arms about someone saying and doing things in Jesus' name, but who didn't even know Jesus. I know Donovan is not exactly working miracles in Jesus' name, but maybe Jesus' words still find some traction here? "Whoever is not against us is for us." Can we give Donovan the benefit of the doubt and call it a case of good intentions but bad theology?

Way said...

I agree with Todd. God had His hand in it. I also agree with Wendy that this is a huge theological discussion. Or it can be made into one when we try to clean God’s resume from the things that we deem bad or insignificant.

God is certainly not hands off. If God takes the time to number our hairs and keeps track of every sparrow sold Luke 12:6&7. Then He can care who wins a football game. I know that its hard to wrap our head around but God does actually work “all things” after the counsel of His will Eph 1:11. The bad things, good things, trivial things, all things. Its hard but lets look at this example. Everyone knows the story of the Philippian jailer from Acts 16. The earthquake was so bad that the doors opened and the bonds fell off. I’m sure that there were some homes destroyed and that in church the following Sunday many were wondering why a loving God allowed such a natural disaster. Or maybe even gave Satan the credit for it claiming that God is hands off or couldn’t be responsible for such a thing. Well the facts are that God caused the earthquake to save one man and his family.

Who knows what God can accomplish with a football game.

Anonymous said...

Wow, never saw so many comments! People respond more to football than most theological issues. Making me side with Steve, the comment brought about a lot of conversation. and really the phone stunt was mild compared to what fans have done in the stands and parking lot in the past and probably yesterday.
I also agree with Todd. God has His hand in this. He gave Donavan and all those other players their talent, and it chokes me to type that playing football is a talent! But Donavan has a God given talent that he has developed. And don't we often praise God for our successes but blame ourselves for defeats. Perhaps our relationship with Him is not so secure as to challenge it with our failures, but rather see them as weakness in us, not Him. So if they lost yesterday, we could have said that Donavan and friends did not use their God given talent to the fullest.
Does God regularly intervene in the world? I believe, yes, I have seen miraculous things. But does He interevene in all? No. and I would have to guess that this falls under the heading "we don't understand His plan." Believers can see His hand in all tragedies. That's what gives us peace.
Having grown up Catholic, I have to laugh about the parking lot comment. Each week 300 people left the parking lot at the same time 300 people were coming for the next Mass. and there was only room for about 275 cars. It was ugly. I learned most of my curse words there!
so, who do you think God is rooting for next week? Do you think the players are praying for victory? and should we use our prayer for such things?

Anonymous said...

I know Wendy is a Colbert fan, and I bought his audio book recently (long drives to and from PA). There's a piece where "God" gives comment on football and specifically that He doesn't "Gift" one team over another in Superbowl or Kentucky Derby. It's a joke, but it is comical. Even for a comedian.
Of course I believe that God has given each of us a talent, but I believe many in the public spotlight manipulate their appreciation of God to get attention. And I find it hard to believe that God has a hand in the actual game itself. It's like saying He's concerned with a football game outcome instead of saving the dying in "insert 3rd world country" here. Or if someone is injured severely in a game, did God just let it happen because the player was on the less favored team?
Deep, and interesting indeed!! And I'm not criticizing anyone's views here. Just keeping a good debate going. It's nice to do where there's no flaming!