Friday, January 16, 2009

Happy Birthday to you, You live in a zoo

I know it is Friday Chew Day, but it is also my son, JJ’s, 11th birthday. We had a conversation last night that I want to share with you.

JJ plays the saxophone in the school band. Every Thursday morning, he gets up extra early for band practice. Several of his good friends are in the band too, and one of the best parts of early morning rehearsal is eating breakfast with them afterwards.

One of his buds is a great kid named Eric, who not only plays in the band, but plays on the same baseball team as JJ. After yesterday’s rehearsal, JJ and Eric ate breakfast together, and then gathered their instruments to catch the band bus back to their school. As they were ready to go, Eric discovered that he had thrown his retainer out. Yes, his orthodontic retainer and, yes, in the trash.

The two boys sprung into action. Together, they started digging through the trash cans, lifting half-eaten Pop Tarts and milk soaked scrambled eggs up with their hands. JJ told me later, “It wasn’t pretty, Mom, but it was funny.”

They had to ask the Band Director to hold the bus, until at last they found both small, expensive apparatuses. Grabbing their things, they ran to the bus.

I laughed as JJ told me the story on the way home from school, his facial expressions and gestures were so great. I imagined the two boys, in my mind’s eye, staring down into the cans, deciding on a plan of action and it made me smile. When I asked him what motivated him to stick his fingers in the mess, JJ said, “Eric is my friend and he would do it for me. Besides, I know what it’s like to wear a retainer.”

Hours after hearing the story, I sat down with JJ as I tucked him into bed, and here’s what I said, using my most meaningful mother-son moment voice:

“On the eve of your birthday, a most stupendous day, I want you to know what your life teaches me. First, always help a friend in trouble. Second, even yucky tasks are fun if you do them with someone. Third, even if everyone else gets on the bus, stay and do what’s right. And lastly, my own life experiences can help me empathize with others. ”

He looked at me and smiled his own orthodontic smile. “Mom,” he whispered, “you forgot the most important one.”

“I did?” I asked.

“Yes. What about, ‘Don’t ever throw away your retainer’?”

I smiled back. Happy Birthday, precious boy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this ENLIGHTENING post. JJ is a great kid and a great friend to Eric.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!! what a great kid! and happy birthday to him!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful lesson .... HAPPY BIRTHDAY JJ !!!!
I hope you have a great day

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, JJ. Wendy, this blog made me cry! It is a stupendous day.

Mike said...

I really do think, we as adults get too caught up with all the details and we miss the important things... like... don't throw your retainer away.