Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pastors and prostitutes and bribes - oh my

I read the sad news yesterday that, besides the male prostitute, Ted Haggard had another relationship with a man from his church – and the church paid the man to keep the relationship secret – oh, and for counseling, too. I think I read that Ted is appearing on Oprah today.

I am intimately familiar with clergy sin. I have never been with a prostitute myself, but I was on staff at a church when the pastor was caught in an affair. So, when I hear about Ted, I have all sorts of thoughts.

I attended a conference once where the speaker said, “Pastors, there are two things that you simply cannot do. You cannot sin and you cannot quit.” I have never forgotten.

When the speaker mentioned “sin” I do not believe he was asking us all to be perfect. Frankly, that would be impossible. But when we do things that taint the reputation of the church, and in turn, the reputation of God, it is a very sad day.

I thought that it was worth reminding both me and you that God is God and we are not. People do all sorts of things that misrepresent who God is, but their behavior doesn’t dent who He really is. I often say things that I regret, but that doesn’t mean that God is equally impulsive.

I apologize. I am sorry for all the Teds, for all the televangelists, for all the fakers, for all the Wendys. They are only people. People who God loves, as a matter of fact.

Sometimes I am a faker. Sometimes I have to determine to be loving because it is not my first impulse. I pray and I ask for courage, but often I fail. Forgive me and remember that Jesus never fails, even when His people do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't feel bad for Ted who sinned - and knew he did and continued to do it and preach against the very action! What upsets me almost more, is the people in the church who covered it up. knowingly. not one of them could speak up about it? of course i dont always speak out against things i know are wrong, but i'm not acting as the leader of a church/organization... except my very personal church of carey - members: 1.
wendy, i'm sure you think you have things to apologize for, but i think you're ok.