Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Meet Keats

I discovered one of the most interesting quotes. Many of you who read this blog may not know it, but there is a lot of conversation in the church these days (and in the world) about the idea of post-modernity and what it means.

Post-modernity is hard to define, perhaps impossible really, so if you Google it after reading this, make sure you read a lot of opinion. Wikipedia (not the most reliable source) describes postmodernism/postmodernity this way:

These terms are used by philosophers, social scientists, and social critics to refer to aspects of contemporary culture, economics and society that are the result of the unique features of late 20th century and early 21st century life. These features include the fragmentation of authority, and the commoditization of knowledge. Postmodernity is a condition, or a state of being, or is concerned with changes to institutions and conditions - whereas postmodernism is an aesthetic, literary, political or social philosophy. In other words, postmodernism is the "cultural and intellectual phenomenon", especially since the 1920s' new movements in the arts, while postmodernity focuses on social and political outworkings and innovations globally, especially since the 1960s in the West.

Whether I always knew it or not (i.e. had it defined for me by Wikipedia), my thinking has always seemed congruent with postmodern thinking – something to do with being an artist perhaps – although I have a friend named Doug who always says, “If you use the term postmodern, you probably aren’t.” I happen to agree.

But back to the quote. The English poet John Keats (1795-1821), after watching a Shakespearean piece performed, said something that comes so close to describing how I see the world that I had to share it. He said:

“…the deepest truths are found in uncertainty and doubt and mystery and not in ‘the irritating reach for fact and reason.’” (Keats’ theory was termed Negative Capability).

Now, if you are a modern thinker, that statement warrants the dreaded label “relativism,” (and probably gives you the urge to wet your pants) but look closer. It’s far deeper than the idea that your facts and my facts are subjective, it is trying to say that once you have reached the pinnacle of irrefutable knowledge – so what? Knowledge is not understanding. Understanding requires getting dirty – rolling around in uncertainty and doubt and pain.

My apologies to those of you who are reading today’s post and thinking, “Huh? Where’s the neatly packaged story for today?” Truth be told, I have to work pretty hard to be that tidy every day.

I do believe there is Absolute Truth. I just disagree about how He’s revealed. In the midst of all that I do not know, He is there – but not with answers – but with Himself.

Christians sing songs like, “Jesus Is Still the Answer” or use phrases like, “I prayed and God gave me an answer…” Frankly, I do not believe that God always offers answers, but He offers Himself, and somehow in the midst of the ongoing uncertainly, it is understood that He is enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - did you hear that?! it was the sound of my head exploding... ok, not really, but i believe that God and His Cause/Existence/Absolute Truth or whatever it's called doesn't get the simplicity of a human created mathematical equation like "prayer + request = Answer"...does that make sense? God is out there in a form that different religions believe is something different for each religion. Maybe I only know when He's answered my prayer w/or w/out a request when I have internal peace.
And I think you need to post a warning at the top of these very deep blogs!

: )

Maureen said...

I think it's often less about the 'answer' than it is about the conversation.

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I think Keats' statement and this blog entry are pretty straightforward if you acknowledge that the Light is seen most vividly when it is shone through total Darkness. It is then that you see the full Truth of it. If you turn on a bright flashlight at high noon not many will notice it or stand in awe of it, will they! I know I wouldn't.