Monday, January 26, 2009

Seasoning

In early December, I had a very cool, yet very complex moment. I was wide awake before dawn, debating whether I could afford a few more minutes in bed before jumping up, and just like I often do I said, “Hi God.”

I did not hear an audible reply, but I had a deep inside me sense that I was ready – ready for far more than getting up out of bed. Interestingly, I had not been asking Him if I was ready or not, but it wasn’t the first time I've been caught asking the wrong questions. I’m pretty sure it won’t be the last either.

I simply smiled and said, “Okay,” in reply, and I got out of bed and had an ordinary day.

I have only had a handful of moments in my life that I knew with certainty that God was telling me something directly. Most of the time, I just know that God asks me to live into my calling as a Christian, and whether I choose to obey or not, that path is pretty clearly spelled out in Scripture. I think God’s will is often wide and open, and God leaves room for our choices within its parameters, but He still expects me to follow with His heart. In other words, some things God will negotiate, and some things He won’t. Apparently, the holding pattern that I’ve been in is over.
To confuse you even further, I have no idea what I’m ready for! I’m not necessarily worried about it, I have learned this year that things take time, but I’m looking forward to turning the page to reveal the next season of my life.

Am I finally going to finish this book? Am I going to step into ministry again? Am I about to do something that I haven’t even imagined yet? I have no idea, and it's almost the end of January, but one thing I do know:

I’m ready.

No comments: