Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pitch peace

Regular readers know that my kids play baseball. Regular readers also know that I continue to work through feelings and issues concerning youth sports leagues.

Last year, a couple of parents got upset about what I believe were very solvable issues. Instead of participating in peace-keeping discussions, impulsive decisions were made and the gossip and hearsay flew through the neighborhoods. Very small issues became larger than life and proved divisive to the program and to the community at large. The fractured group formed their own team.

A new season is on the horizon, and the separation has become more pronounced, with purchased newspaper blurbs insisting that one group exists to advocate “for the kids” – thus implying the other has more devious and ulterior motives.

In my ever-so-humble opinion, there is a lot of blame to go around (if blame even needs to be placed) and both groups involved in the distress have proven themselves disappointing at different times.

But, ah, there’s the rub, isn’t it? One thing that I have learned about opinions, as I have watched it all unfold, is that people will go to great lengths to defend their perspectives. I readily admit that I have caught myself passionately defending my opinion of the whole situation. And aren’t we adept at presenting our opinions as facts, instead of the bias points of view that they actually are?

I want Christ to inform every part of my life, and when I allow Him to meddle in baseball, I am reminded that He wants me to discharge peace, not opinion. There is no way that I see the whole situation clearly. I simply do not have all the facts, and even if I did, I have relationships and emotional attachments that skew the facts inside my mind. Since my view point is tainted, it’s just a better idea to see things from God’s view point instead.

So, what does God think about the baseball woes?

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

“Love your neighbor as yourself.”

“Do everything without complaining or arguing…”

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you.”

So, once again, I am reminded that there are far more important things than my reputation or field maintenance or which kid played first base or whether we won the game or who’s a better coach. I know, from God’s perspective, that peace in the community takes priority over my opinions, even over my hurts, and I need to launch words that promote it.

That’s what it really means to be “for the kids.” Fractured and new leagues are not the answer, but how our children see us behave as we process inevitable conflict will help them grow to be better men.

Odds are, our children will not play in the MLB, but even if they do, I want us to be as proud of who they are as we are of how they play.
Pitch peace.

2 comments:

Jared said...

I can't help but think that this baseball league sounds an awful lot like the Protestant church. It is much easier to go start something new instead of putting in the time, energy and effort to work through our differences.

I read a blog post a few months back where the writer was talking about how we Protestants are essentially children of divorce and how that has shaped our views of struggle and strife. I know first hand what that does to the church, but what does it do to a baseball league?

Steve said...

The Protestant church and baseball are microcosms and examples of the rest of our lives. We are selfish and we want what we think is important. We want to be in control. I have seen the baseball example played out, and the church example as well.

I was thinking last night walking home from our son's basketball game about his coaches, some men in the stands and even myself as a former athlete and now coach. I'm old enough now that some of my former students and players are coaching. The dual perspective of them as athletes, good or not so good, and as coaches struck me as something odd. When they were in high school they wanted to be the next Larry Bird, Dr. J, or Wade Boggs. Did they realize the odds were astronomical that they would do that? A few seemed to and had the foresight to realize they would be doing other things in the future. I didn't have that foresight until later.

It seems that many people, myself included, lack the ability to see the BIG Picture, the entire panorama. Some gain it later, but unfortunately some never do. These want their way whether it is baseball, church, knitting circles. And then divides get expanded.

Good thoughts, Wendy.

Steve in Central CA