Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Pain Relievers

I had a headache yesterday, which is actually a very rare occurrence for me. While I waited for the medication to work, it struck me how interesting pain is.

I could hardly think about anything else as my head pounded and I marveled at how just one thing could influence every other thing I was experiencing – how one part of me could profoundly affect the whole of me.

My kids’ report cards came in the mail (they were great!) but I had difficulty expressing the joy and pride I felt in my heart because of what I felt in my head. I walked through my yard to enjoy the flowers, but the colors seemed less vivid because the bright sun bothered my eyes. You get the idea.

I think we can see life in the same way too. Sometimes when there is one thing out of whack, it is easy to feel like everything is out of whack. Not necessarily so.

Remember the old saying, “Be patient with me, God isn’t finished with me yet”? I do believe that God sees us as works in progress, but often we see the areas of our lives that need work and we conclude. “I’m a mess!” or “I’ll never get there!” At other times, we are experiencing a pain – physical, emotional, spiritual - and it affects how we see the whole world. It taints how we see everything and everyone around us.

Take a deep breath and live in Grace today. God knit you together in your mother’s womb and ordained your days – He knows you. He knows you better than you know you.

And He knows just what medication you need.

No comments: