Friday, June 19, 2009

Rocky Roads

Last night, J.J. and I visited with my Dad for a while. Soon, Dad was making tea and getting out the treats. He and J.J. had Rocky Road cookies, but I don’t like chocolate, so I opted out.

I wish I could opt out of the rocky road that I am travelling right now. Many thanks for your emails and phone calls to tell me you love me and/or care. Just thought I would share a few things.

Rocky roads are a normal part of life – even the Christian life. They grow us and challenge us and they are often a time when God reveals His presence in an extraordinary way if we let Him.

Difficulty occurs when we experience a rocky road without having a clear idea of who God is and how He operates. I heard someone say this week, “God is really messing with me,” in response to a deep struggle she is facing. If we do not start with God in our lives – learning His heart and His ways – we will misinterpret His motives when hard times come.

So, whatever you and I are facing, let’s be clear: Our God is about restoration. He is applying His grace and love to the world (and our lives) in order to reconcile us to Himself and to each other. He is also eternal. He sees a far bigger picture than we can imagine and, not that He doesn’t care about how we feel, but He invites us to look beyond the bumps and sharp turns on our journey. He invites us to look for HIM.

And, just as a simple reminder, God is good. If we know this, then we trust Him – and then there’s no need to opt out.

No comments: