Thursday, June 25, 2009

Preference vs. Reverence

I think one of the greatest challenges that the local church faces today is getting over herself. Maybe I shouldn’t say “today” because the church seems to have had this difficulty ever since it formalized (i.e. became an institution) which was a long time ago.
Problems inside the church have been a continual distraction for her.
I can remember when my church was going through a large building program. There was a group of people appointed called “The Decorating Committee.” You wouldn’t believe what they went through – trying to get along while they tried to choose carpeting – all while people less than five miles down the road didn’t have enough to eat.

I think worship wars are another great example. Even though I refuse to call that hour when we gather to celebrate Christ “worship” (we can talk about that later), the problems that occur when you change a person’s Sunday morning service are amazing.

We must be careful that we do not confuse preference with reverence. I vividly remember a Christmas Eve about 5 years ago when the teens participated in our services, and they did a little something unusual. I loved it – probably because all I could see was young people giving their whole selves to the work of the church – but OH the flack I got after that night. One woman in particular called what they did “irreverent” for Christmas Eve.

That woman may not have liked what she saw, but irreverent is a stretch. If you explore worship throughout history – and I mean BIBLICAL examples of how people celebrated God – you may be amazed. The very first “worship” experience in Scripture was led by a woman and involved DANCING and TAMBOURINES. Now you may have stood by the side of the recently parted Red Sea shaking your head disapprovingly if you had been there, but your personal preference doesn’t mean that God didn’t like the noise.

There are biblical references to drama and music and dancing and prayer and eating and a wide variety of instruments – all included in the gathering of believers. And, as much as I love the organ, there is not one single verse that insists every church have one and use it at all times. The exact same is true for guitars.

No comments: