Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Country first?

Yes, I have been thinking about Republican nominee for VP Sarah Palin’s daughter, Bristol. Remember, years ago, when young unmarried women got pregnant and were sent to a convent in secret to avoid embarrassment? Not a good solution, but dear Bristol Palin is caught in the opposite of convent containment. Can you even imagine how this 17 year-old feels this week as news agencies and bloggers and politicians discuss what must be the most difficult, stressful and potentially shaming moment of her life thus far?

Imagine.

Bristol, you can come live with me. You are not campaign fodder. You are not a living example of pro-life values. You are not needed to prove anyone’s commitment to family values. I’m sorry this is happening, and I’m sorry that ideology and ambition and country have come first. Regardless of what others tell you, Jesus really isn’t interested in most of the other stuff. He’s interested in you.

I mentioned last week that my perspective on Christians in politics is going through a transformation. I have always thought that “Christian” is a verb, but I’m getting even more worked up lately. I want to ask every Christian who has made commentary on candidates or parties or ideologies to tell me what they did last week. Really, what did you do last week? If you did not feed a hungry person (and I don’t mean write a check) or care for a widow or befriend the fatherless or visit the sick and imprisoned or help another person heal, frankly, I am not interested in your rhetoric about family values or your ponderings about smaller vs. larger government or your answers for social justice. Jesus was full of ideals, but He was also a Man of touching and doing. He didn’t see Himself as the leader or the communicator who simply taught others the principles so they could live it out, He lived it too. He clearly understood “grass roots movement” and wasn’t above trudging through the dirt to sow the grass seed.

The church is too big for her britches. We need to humble ourselves and withdraw from the political conversation until we do what Jesus has asked us to do. Period. A vast number of the issues facing America (and the world), many of which are being discussed at political conventions and used to support both candidate platforms, would not even exist if the church was not swollen to impotence with a morality that somehow excuses inactivity.

I am not endorsing either party or candidate. I've decided to shut up and put up before I dare head to any voting booth.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Wendy. I agree with your sentiments and think that Bristol would do well in your care. I too feel for her and the family and actually applaud the sentiment that this issue should not be political fodder.

However, this issue does make me question the aspirations of Governor Pallin. Unless she was unaware of the pregnancy till after the VP announcement, she HAD to know that this would happen to her family, and most of all to Bristol. If her values are truly family first, then perhaps the run for "only a heartbeat away," should have been postponed.

and how is this different than the pregnancy of Brittany Spears sister, the last teen that was thrown under the bus, so to speak.

Teen pregnancy is not political, it's not so that more tabloids can sell, it's not even a religious issue. It's a crisis for family, teen and the baby to come. With 2 parents with years of experience, financial security, and a masters degree in pediatrics, we have found raising a child the single most daunting thing in our lives with the most at stake. No one, Christian or otherwise, should make this any harder than it already is.

Go get Bristol out of the limelight Wendy. I'll be glad to help too! There's a lot riding on this. And we don't have to guess "WWJD."

Todd said...

Shane Claiborne said, “ … if I am going to discourage abortion, I had better be ready to adopt some babies and care for some mothers.” When I look at what I did last week, I fell short. I may be able to put together a decent argument for myself, but honestly, I didn’t even come close. Anyway, this is what I’m wondering. Is it okay to judge people who judge people? Is it okay to judge people who judge people who judge people?

(Now I’m quoting Shane Claiborne????????)

Todd said...

Regarding Bristol, I think the popular “evangelical” leaders got it right this time. I can't speak to what's really in their hearts, or what they did last week, but I thought they at least had an appropriate public response.

And if I had to make a judgment call, I’d probably side with today’s post being a rant. Just awesome!

Anonymous said...

for the record, I did visit the sick and bring a meal last week, but it's not an every week occurance. I need to work on that! and the judgemental thing too.

Wendy Melchior said...

Don't normally interject, but I just want to add something here. THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT - but I must say that I prefer how Obama handled Bristol's situation over the Family Research Council. He said she was off limits and he has not mentioned her since. Seems to me that the "evangelical" leaders (although I confess they have been gracious)have used the situation (used Bristol) to promote their agenda. I find that a little disconcerting - whether I agree or disagree with their agenda or not. Does that makes sense? She is only 17 and although she has made her own set of choices, a whole bunch of others have been made FOR her as well - it is the wisdom behind those choices I must question - not judge.

Kimberly said...

very convicting yet compassionate words.

Anonymous said...

Our nation has a rich tradition of patriots who, in their passion for the light, stood for truth, exposed darkness, and were champions for the good of our nation. Or, other nations: I think of William Wilberforce almost single-handedly arguing for the end of slavery in Britain.

Discourse today, unfortunately, is played out for the cameras in pithy soundbites at best and subversive campaigns at worst.

Your post was a good challenge for personal examination. Thank you.

There is work to be done in the Church, but let's not abandon the culture. Words and deeds are both needed--each according to the gifts we are given.

Wendy Melchior said...

I do not see it as abandoning the culture, I see it as finally shaping it instead of reacting to it.

Kristopher Dean said...

remember when you told me you were going to take in britney, and now bristol (sweet name), i totally dig it.

i think this is such a challenge because we love so much to talk. to gossip, to show our capacity for intellectual gymnastics.

i certainly like to talk...