Thursday, September 18, 2008

The smallest of gods

This is what God the LORD says—
he who created the heavens and stretched them out,
who spread out the earth and all that comes out of it,
who gives breath to its people,
and life to those who walk on it:

"I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness;
I will take hold of your hand…”


I read those words yesterday in Isaiah 42, and I have been thinking about the bigness and smallness of God ever since.

I suspect that many people, both Christians and those who believe differently, misinterpret Jesus’ words found in John 14, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

For some strange reason, Christians have walked around declaring this statement as if it were an ultimatum – an exclusivity of sorts. In other words, “You cannot get to heaven unless you believe in Jesus,” a statement which sounds like Christianity requires a membership card. The idea that God is being choosy and narrow-minded turns off many (go ahead – say it – the Gospel is offensive, right?) Perhaps there is yet another way to look at it.

When I was in China, I watched a lama in fascination one day. Lama as in monk, not the spitting Peruvian mammal llama. This dear man was walking to the lamasery (temple), which was miles away, but he was getting there like this: two steps, kneel on ground, bend over and kiss ground, stand back up, two steps, kneel on ground, bend over and kiss ground, stand back up, two steps, kneel on ground…you get the picture. I asked someone why he was doing such a thing, and the answer was, “To prove his devotion.”

I know that I can never prove my devotion. When I look at other great religions, I see this pattern of striving, of modifying behavior in order to measure up. Christians are fooled by this false truth too – and believe me, I’ve done my share of trying my damnedest to do things right.

I think what this gracious Jesus was saying, is that He knows we cannot measure up, we cannot close the gap that exists between Him and us – no matter how much kneeling and kissing we do or how hard we try. Simply being a good person won’t do it, avoiding bad behavior won’t do it, just doing no harm won’t do it. So, He, being God, decided to come get us. He just went ahead and closed the gap.

To reject God’s coming must hurt Him. He gave up a lot to get us, but He did it out of a compelling love that wants to restore us to our real intent, our real state of being in love with Him and each other – something that is now so foreign to us, so clouded by crap, that it requires an overhaul of our minds and hearts.

Jesus isn’t making statements about an exclusive club. He is telling us that God came to get us through Him. This massive, great God, who stretched out the sky, has reached down for my hand.

That’s why I believe in Jesus, and how I know He is the real true way to know God and be restored. Not because I am afraid if I don’t choose Him that I’m screwed in the afterlife, but because He is the only big God that became small enough to see the smallness of me.

1 comment:

John said...

It'd be beautiful if most Xns got from place to place like this: two steps, kneel on ground, bend over and kiss ground, stand back up, two steps, kneel on ground, bend over and kiss ground, stand back up, two steps, kneel on ground…you get the picture. And when someone asked someone why we would do such a thing, the answer would be, “To display our gratitude.”

Preach on, Melchior.