Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Comfort food

I have found myself eating a lot of comfort food lately. There is definitely something about the familiar that can ease the mind, isn’t there? But it’s about far more, I think.

The sense of being FULL, or should I say THE ABSENCE OF EMPTY is a big deal too. For me, it’s been the loss of a friend, but there are other things that have left spaces as well – and the artificial filling up with green bean casserole brings a temporary plugging up of the vacancies.

In a realer, more permanent sense, this is the same journey we are on with God. He is filling us up – helping us know safety and wholeness despite our nagging hunger – past and present. Thing is, real fullness takes time, it’s a process even if we want it NOW.

Put down the fork. He’s working.

No comments: