Thursday, May 14, 2009

Shiny well soul

Last night, I attended Noah’s Spring concert at the public middle school he attends. I usually enjoy these concerts immensely.

But before the concert began, I sat in my seat very tired, both physically and emotionally. The loss of Diana is a heavy reality, one that is making it hard to move my arms and legs. I haven’t been able to hear either, and I have missed most of what people are saying to me. Falling asleep seemed like my best bet.

Then came the moment when the curtain opened and the instruments reflected the light in a hundred different eye-catching flashes. The brass is always so shiny and exciting looking – and my attention was suddenly brought into sharp focus for the first time in over 24 hours. I even felt a moment of anticipation. What will I hear, now that I am listening?

And then, at his public school, Noah’s band began to play what was listed as “Hymnsong with Philip Bliss” in the program, but if you know your church music, you know it as, “It Is Well With My Soul.”

I was completely present for a moment, and that single flash of clarity reassured me that I will regain my hearing as the days pass. Smiling in the dark, I gave God props for His blessed tactics – tubas and truth.

It is well, it is well with my soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a cassette tape in my car (yes, cassette) of a wonderful man singing that song. In times of stress or angst, listening to that brings almost immediate peace.

I'm glad that it helped you too.

Mike said...

Its easy to say that God knows what you need... but it isn't until those moments that you know... that god knows what you need.