Monday, May 11, 2009

Homemade cards and other reproach producing paper

I hope you had a great Mother’s Day. I recognize that it can be a tough day for some people. I had a friend who once told me that one of the hardest moments of the entire year for her is when she stands in the Hallmark store and tries to find a Mother’s Day card that is true.

I woke up yesterday and shortly after my daughter was leading me into a room to present me with a homemade card. It is gigantic, made on large size art paper, and here is what it says:

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY
I LOVE YOU
Let me name all the nice things about you…
Marvelous
Outstanding
Magnificent
You’re kind, sweet, you help us when we need it. You think of us first, you forgive us! But most of all you always have time for me and more.
Love, Mia xoxoxoxoxo


It was beautiful, but somehow it gave me the strangest feeling inside. I truly long to be all the things my daughter believes that I am, all the things she needs me to be. Did you ever read a card that way?

5 comments:

Todd said...

Wendy, your posts from the last few weeks have been exceptionally insightful and entertaining. But I was wondering something . . . when are we going to get back to being angry at Christians for doing what they think is right in their own mind. That was cool. :)

Mike said...

the thing to remember is that while you may not think you're living up to all of those things... in her mind you are.

carey f said...

the best moms realize they are only human.

however, enjoy the view from the pedestal while it's there. : )

Stacey said...

As a mom to four children myself I can totally agree with where you are coming from. I want to be 100% the perfect mom to my kids but I feel like I am always working toward that. Now that I am back to work it is doubly hard in my mind.

However, I continually remind myself of something I read many years ago: "A mother's job is to make memories." That is my daily mantra.
It is my goal that my children not remember me cleaning the house, or doing laundry but that they have great memories of their childhood. I will skip household duties any day to play Rock Band or go outside with them.
You are an awesome mom. Your children can tell that no matter what, they are your priority. That is truly all that matters.

blake said...

My favorite prayer of all time:

"God, help me to be the man my dog thinks I am."
Rev. Warren Keating