Thursday, May 28, 2009

Glory, glory days

SO, a funny thing happened last night. My son’s baseball team had a fundraiser at a local ice creamery raising money towards their upcoming trip to Cooperstown. The kids had a blast scooping the ice cream and serving their friends. We were fortunate enough to have a great turnout.

As we were preparing to leave, I noticed a woman talking to my husband across the courtyard. Something about her body language caught my attention, and I watched her with interest as she spoke to him and a group of team parents.

Turns out, she had gone to college with Steve, who was apparently quite a stud back in the day. The woman was regaling the group with stories about my husband and his basketball team – about how they used to steal food from her sorority refrigerator (quickly forgiven, of course), about how TALL they all were in comparison to everyone else and numerous other BMOC antics that she remembered fondly and in detail.

I watched as my husband feigned blushing and pretended to not remember how great he used to be, and I found this to be even more amusing than her gushing. Tempted to contribute to the conversation by revealing his humanness (you know - snoring, smelly sneakers - the basics), I stopped myself short.

Steve is great, I thought to myself, he was and he is.

Sometimes I am reminded of all the things I used to be or wanted to be or dreamt of being and these thought/memories can leave me momentarily unsatisfied with what IS. Oh, when my thighs were thin or what if I’d not given up acting or how cool would it be to live in a center city loft apartment… Ever have these moments?

I think dreams are great things. Scripture is full of times when God gave His people a vision for something bigger than they were able to see on their own.

I know that God’s dreams for me are so much bigger than what I call a dream. Peace on earth, free flowing forgiveness, restored relationships, minds and bodies healed. Opening my life up to His kind of dreaming, instead of being distracted by the temporary things that catch my eye, may help me stop myself short when tempted to be dissatisfied with what is.

God is great. He was and He is and He always will be. Glory days.

No comments: