Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Corny songs and just reminders

So, last week, I got a song stuck in my head. No, that’s an exaggeration. I got two lines I wasn’t sure of and a fairly shaky tune of some remote song I remember from years ago stuck in my head.

My brain chose to “sing” it incessantly, making up lyrics and stanzas – even though I knew the root of what was inside me was vaguely familiar.

I sang my version of said song for a couple of the baseball moms this weekend, and everyone else had some distant memory of it as well, but we couldn’t seem to pinpoint an artist or title.

Yesterday, on iTunes, I typed in the few words I thought were correct, and sure enough, there was the fine (but immensely corny) song by the Bellamy Brothers, “Let Your Love Flow.”

The chorus goes like this:

Just let your love flow like a mountain stream
And let your love grow with the smallest of dreams
And let your love show and you'll know what I mean it's the season
Let your love fly like a bird on the wind
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine and you'll know what I mean that's the reason


After I finally relieved the insane guessing game inside my head, and even chuckled a little at the answer, I thought of the verse of Scripture in the book of Amos that says:

But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!


I started to think about a mountain stream after the rain – how powerful and strong and sweeping it is.

And, as corny as it sounds, I felt immense hope at the thought of love and justice and righteousness like that.
Not a bad thing to have rolling around in your head, or rolling around on the Earth, even if the details are hard to articulate.


1 comment:

cuzzin Wayne said...

that is a beautiful sentiment but a really corny song...

up here in Canada we call that song-stuck-in-your-head-thing an earworm and they are tough to get rid of