Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Speaking of love and dogs

Yesterday was a good Monday in Philadelphia. Our Phillies are leading their division, our Eagles had a big win Sunday, and I actually saw a dog wearing a Michael Vick jersey. All is well in The City of Brotherly Love.

I am coming to the conclusion that the world is so complicated that it may be naïve to believe that I have an informed opinion about anything at all. This leaves me in a pickle, frankly, because the natural next step is to remain opinionless, but then that often is interpreted as apathy to the rest of the human beings I coexist with. Don’t ever encounter a group of Christians without being armed with an opinion, believe me. Accusations of pluralism and relativism aboundeth.

So, then I look to the Scriptures for some sort of mandate to inform me, and there I find Jesus saying that the greatest commandment is:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Opinions and discernment and judgments are all tricky things, aren’t they? Sometimes we rationalize one to be another, and at other times we ignore the need for clear perspective.

When I am confused about which is which, I try to love. Letting God fill in the blanks, either way, just seems best.

I wonder if they are selling Vick jerseys in doggie heaven?

1 comment:

carey f said...

I have opinions, some rightly based and some on my own needs. I don't share them with everyone. Many times, I have an opinion, and I keep it to myself. I don't encourage arguments with my opinions. Facts are distorted, the facts I use are distorted.

Sometimes, I even say something just to get someone riled up. I may not believe in what I'm saying, but it opens discussion.

I come here to have my mind opened. To put a new perspective on my day. To get a thought, so that I can have an opinion. : )