Monday, September 28, 2009

Grace under water pressure

On Saturday, my dear friend Beth and I, and our husbands, were in charge of the 6th grade car wash to raise funds for J.J.’s class trip. Let me just begin by telling you that if you are ever asked to lead a 6th grade car wash – don’t do it.

It was only four hours, but in that span of time I had such a myriad of feelings that I probably can’t explain them all to you.

One thing, however, that I think is worth mentioning is that very few of the kids could work hard.

Hear me out: I LOVE FUN. As a matter of fact, I prefer fun to most other things. I am all for bubble fights and hose squirting and general soap sudsy revelry. I am both happy to participate in said fun, and to allow it. Yet I had some sense on Saturday that there should be some actual car washing going on since we were taking people’s money.

Now, there were a few kids, I must say, who were great workers. They also had lots of fun, but then when a car arrived, they scrubbed and hosed and dried. The majority of kids, though, had excuses and arguments against putting out any sort of effort at all, and I began to wonder if I was chaperoning a school dance or an actually fundraising activity. The even crazier part was that even after they were (gently) encouraged to help, they still did not jump in to participate. At one point, I considered prompting them with a high pressured power washer.

You know what? I want kids to be kids, yes, but I somehow think it is important that they put forth some effort for what they want. These particular kids are going on an out of state class trip, one that will cost quite a bit of cash, and I do not think it is unrealistic for them to help raise such cash.

Perhaps too many parents are just writing checks for their kids’ activities these days. Perhaps a little elbow grease would do us all good. Perhaps I am old fashioned and out of touch.

My children claim that they do far too many chores. I claimed the same when I was a kid, but somehow I survived.

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for teaching me to work.

1 comment:

Sean in Boston said...

I hope everyone who participated got a trophy. If not, their self-esteem could be irrevocably damaged, leading to extreme entitlement and low work output. Hey, wait a minute...

;-)