Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Propoganda

My children start school today – but just barely. Our local teachers’ union announced last week that they would strike because they were unhappy with the contract proposed by the school district. In Pennsylvania, there is a law about how much notice the union must give the community, so last Friday a judge ordered the teachers to show up today.

In this dispute, as in every dispute, there are two sides to the story. I try to educate myself with the “facts,” but honestly, when you read the information that both sides are disseminating, the facts are hard to discern. I learned last week that the school board is spending $7,500 a month to the Public Relations firm it has hired to create the right image during the negotiations.

When discussing the same letter, or the same contract items, the two sides are so different and the language used is so inflammatory that it’s hard to believe they are talking about the same thing, let alone imagine an eventual resolution to it all.

I started to think about this particular phenomenon and I think it is pretty common. You know what I mean - do we actually manipulate each other to the point of deceit, or do we really believe that our perspective is valid and true even if it’s not? I suspect both are sometimes correct.

I want to be the kind of Christian that sees relationships and communications differently. When challenged or afraid, I want to hesitate – to pause and simply consider another person’s point of view – before fiercely defending my own position. I think there are even times that I do not need to defend at all, but I can go ahead and be misunderstood in order to love someone well. Easier said than done, I know.

Imagine not needing any PR.

I think I’ll go on a propaganda strike.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Wendy,

As a public school teacher I am appalled at some of the things that my colleagues do, especially in school meetings. The rudeness and apathy, except for their own interests, is astounding. And generally those that act the worse are the least tolerant of any student behavior other than inactivity bordering on somnambulism. These teachers also seem to be well known.

But on the other hand the teachers that don't have to advertise their beliefs, who don't need a PR machine to keep students in their classes, they quietly educate our students.

Maybe a revision of the old saying. Those who teach, teach. Those who can't teach, hire a PR company and bellow.

Sorry for the rant.

Steve

carey f said...

I believe teachers are the most under-appreciated group of people. While there are parents who value what they do and what they try to do, for the most part they don't get the respect they deserve. That a PR firm had to be hired is disgraceful and sad. I wonder how many other times in "contract negotiation" history PR firms were hired for the board.