Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rescue

I saw a commercial on TV for Lending Tree recently. It depicted a man, who apparently has financial difficulties, looking at his own reflection in his car window. Even though he was in a suit and tie, his reflection showed him dressed like a super hero – just like the Green Lantern.

The general idea was, instead of being helpless during financially stressed times, take your future into your own hands. The tag line read, “YOU TO THE RESCUE.” Well, you and Lending Tree, of course.

I smiled at this particular thought – you to the rescue.

Then I had breakfast with my mom this morning. It was a really nice time together and we proceeded to solve the world’s problems like we usually do. I really love my Mom.

One of the ideas we discussed was how we, as Christians, have come to believe that God gifted us in particular ways to help solve problems – in the church, in the world, in our lives. While I think it’s true that God does not put us in a canoe without an oar, I also suspect that we have come to rely on our own problem solving skills and sense of logic far too much.

Hear me out. GOD HAS ALREADY SOLVED THE WORLD’S PROBLEMS. He always goes first - goes ahead. Wendy’s ingenuity, or lack thereof, is really not a factor unless I am using my gifts to follow His already paved way. Does that make sense? There is not only satisfaction for my creativity, thinking and skills in His plan, but there are real, honest and working solutions as well.

So, where I do agree with Gandhi when he said, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world,” I also must insist that the pattern for that change – the template, if you will – has already been discovered.

Yes, me to the rescue in the world. But only after I acknowledge Who has rescued me, grabbing on to the life preserver and letting it drag me in the well worn path of Jesus.

No comments: