Friday, September 18, 2009

Vocab test

This morning, before he got on the bus, I helped my 8th grader study for his first vocabulary test of the school year. Boy, did he have difficult words. I mentioned this while reviewing them with him.

“I don’t think I use any of these words in every day conversation,” I noted. “I’m not even sure I know what convivial means exactly.”

“You use words like this,” my son replied, “maybe not these exact ones, but big ones.”

“Really? Nuh uh,” was my well spoken response.

“Mom, sometimes people don’t know what you mean, at least I don’t. The other day you said it was a ‘taxing’ situation and I was sure it had something to do with money until I figured it out.”

I laughed, but you know what? I want to be an easily understood person. Of course, that doesn’t mean I have to use the vocabulary of an 8th grader all the time, but the words and inflections and posture I choose can either be easy or difficult to relate to.

I want to be easy (in the most appropriate sense of the word).

Time to take a vocab test. As a Christian, do I choose words and language that that creates distance or safety? Judgment or acceptance? Defensiveness or peace? Am I cool or warm?
…or perhaps I should say, am I supercilious or convivial?

1 comment:

Momof5 said...

I remember helping my daughter with her vocabulary in kindergarten when she had to learn "oviparous". Really? Isn't it true how we utilize our vocabulary in our lives with the assumption that everyone else understands us. It's like being a "seeker" trying to find out what this Christianity thing is by visiting a church where we all think everyone knows the Christmas story or the parable of the sower.....I catch myself. Love the post!

P.S. It means animals that lay eggs, basically.