Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Games

I finally got an opportunity to watch the Olympics last night. While I did, I played a game of Dutch Blitz with my daughter. Dutch Blitz is a Pennsylvania Dutch card game that requires quick thinking and quick hands. Just when I was feeling pretty quick, I watched the men’s gymnastic team from China.

WOW! The strength, control and timing required to perform the floor exercises that I witnessed was almost overwhelming. Simply fabulous.

Have you noticed the VISA commercials that are running during these games? They feature different athletes, but always say, “Go World!” at the end. I LOVE these ads.

How psyched were you when that young Korean swimmer, Park Taehwan, (the one that fell into the pool in Athens 2004 and was embarrassingly disqualified) won gold!?!? I cheered and even had a tear as I watched his sense of self be restored and thought of Korea having its first EVER swimming medal. Or how about the Australian boxer whose name is Brad Pitt? He said, of the famous celebrity that shares his name, “He can get another, this is my name.” The USA’s Michael Phelps, raised by a single mother, seems to glide through the water on his way to victory. And, of course, Abhinav Bindra won India's first ever individual gold medal, winning the 10m air rifle event.

But the most profound Olympic moment for me so far, was the hug between the sharp shooters from Georgia and Russia. While their respective countries solve conflict with guns, they used theirs to promote peace.

Go, world, go.

What do you suppose God thinks of the Olympics?

1 comment:

Mike said...

Its amazing to see the discipline that is takes for these men and women to do what they do, only to be show cased, really, once every 8 years.

As for what God thinks, I think that what is shown to us us what God wishes for the world to actually be like. What we see is healthy competition; a respect for each other even between countries, like you said, that solve their problems with guns and just a general mutual love for something. I think God loves the games, no matter who dismounts incorrectly or who comes in last place, he loves the games.