Thursday, August 7, 2008

Good fortune

I went out for Chinese last night. My friend Diana had a rough day, so we decided to eat Lo Mein. Steve, the kids – we all went. The food was good, the friends were good, the conversation was good, the laughter was really good.

Diana fought cancer this year, and for all intents and purposes, she and God won. Her doctor says her numbers are great, she has a full head of hair, and she is back to work. I think the hard part now is dealing with the post-cancer feelings. She’s been in survival mode for so long, where does all that intensity go now?

Our lives have been busy lately and it was great to see her and great to be seen. I waited on the bench in front of our house because I was eager to see her Mustang turn into the driveway. I smiled and hugged her, and soon the kids were doing the same.

The maitre' de at the restaurant did a whole shtick while delivering the menus. He claimed that after you eat the Amazing Shrimp, you will scream for joy in the parking lot afterwards. Diana decided to test his assertion.

So, after we ate Governor’s Chicken, Amazing Shrimp, Crabmeat Cream Cheese Wontons, and Colossal Shrimp with papaya (yum), we were served our fortune cookies. The Melchior’s are kind of stupid about fortune cookies. We carefully select which one we believe is fated to be ours, then we read them one by one while the rest of the group listens.

Noah read: “You can overcome any obstacle.” I laughed inside as I thought of how my son had hunted down the phone number of the out of town girl he’d met at camp, finally asking her father’s permission (through me) to give her a call.

Steve read: “You love a challenge.” My husband, the consummate salesperson, who thinks “by commission” is the only way to earn a living.

Mia read: “An unexpected surprise awaits you,” which I wondered about quizzically until we came home and discovered one of the cat’s hairballs on the bed.

J.J. read: “You love the nightlife.” Extremely frightening for his mother, but I must admit that if any of my children will ever get arrested – it will be J.J.

Diana, who was thrilled that the cookies were dipped in chocolate, opened hers and grinned. She looked up at me and said, “This you won’t believe. Mine says, ‘God will help you overcome any hardship.’”

Besides the fact that I have never before seen a Chinese fortune that referred to God, I had this feeling in my gut that God loves a coincidence. I’m not saying He planted the fortune, but I think He loved it when she was assured.

We left and returned to my house. I had to leave (another all-nighter with my editor buddy) and so I hugged and kissed her goodbye in the driveway. She wasn’t exactly screaming for joy, but there was definitely a spring in her step that wasn’t there before she experienced Amazing Shrimp and a bit of good fortune.

My cookie? After listening to everyone else read theirs, I eagerly opened mine. They had all been so perfect, so fitting to their possessors. I was sure mine would say something like, “Your book will appear on the NY Times bestseller list for at least a kajillion weeks,” or “Oprah’s Book Club here you come!” or at the very least, “You will lose the extra weight without dieting.” You know, something ideal for ME.

But, alas, my slip of paper read, “You are attracted to ancient Chinese culture.” I'm sure God got a big kick out of that one, too.

3 comments:

Kristopher Dean said...

I was offered a job at Abacus once upon a time...

militia207 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
militia207 said...

I finally find delicious chinese food in Montgomery County, A loving family that openly shares their dishes so everybody gets a taste of everything, chocolate dipped fortune cookies ( They never had them in Delaware County ) and wouldn't you know it God Shows Up to reassure my heart my faith in Him that He is in control and all will be well. What more could a gal ask for.