Wednesday, August 13, 2008

You may need to look up visceral

Many years ago, I took my husband and his brother to a movie called, “The Crying Game.” The film had generated a lot of buzz, and it seemed like my kind of buzz, so even though the guys wanted to see some action flick, they went with me.

I doubt that I am being a spoiler at this point since it came out in 1992 – but if you haven’t seen it and want to, I suggest you don’t read today’s post. It really is a great and interesting film on many levels and you should view it with no expectations or preconceived ideas.

Anyway, for those of you continuing on, (last chance before SPOILER) at the end of the movie the audience discovers that one character, that we truly thought was a woman, is actually a man. It is a shocking and amazing revelation that makes you gasp for air for about 10 whole seconds. I found the moment fascinating and still consider it to be the most visceral response I’ve ever had at the movies. I felt it inside me.

My husband and brother in law were also shocked, but I suspect their gut reaction was different than mine. But I should let them speak for themselves.

Right now in my life I am in the midst of A Waiting Game, and I am experiencing a different kind of buzz. I think I am finally getting to a point where I can be excited about waiting because I have learned that no matter what happens, I can trust God. Even when I don’t get my way (sometimes especially when I don’t get my way) the learning and grace born within me have been irreplaceable, so why not start to live excited about what will happen inside me, regardless of what happens outside me?

I can remember several years ago, when something unexpected and wonderful happened, I was walking around using phrases like, “Isn’t God amazing?” and “I’m just shocked by God’s goodness.” A friend of mine, named Trudy, looked at me with a smile and said, “I am no longer shocked when these things happen, because I’ve learned that’s just how God operates.”

Thankful? Yes. Hopeful? Indeed. Eager? A little. Excitement diarrhea? You bet.

But shocked? Not this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You GO girl!!!!

militia207 said...

You Wrote: I have already listed all the reasons why today is not a good one to start a diet. Glad to get that out of the way today.

LOL keep that sense of humour fiesta salads all around are soon to come !!!!

Anonymous said...

You ruined "The Crying Game" for me!!!!

Excitement Diarrhea? I like that... I'm going to use that in my next bestseller.