Monday, March 30, 2009

God will have His way

I have been reminded of something lately. I have sort of been waffling around about some decisions that are waiting for my attention. Well, maybe “waffling” isn’t the right word. Part of me has been hesitating, part of me has been waiting. Both things can be good things, and both can be bad things, depending on the circumstances.

One of the most intriguing questions, asked by theologians throughout history, is whether God directly intervenes in the world or whether He just set it spinning and now watches from afar. Different moments in the Bible suggest that both may be true – in other words – you can find evidence of God’s direct hand in events and proof of His abstinence in others. As great as the idea is to ponder, the important thing to realize is that both responses serve His purposes.

Don’t misunderstand me, now. I was with a group of friends this weekend and the age old question of why God allows so much suffering in the world came up. GREAT question, one that we may need to tackle another day, but I am not attempting it today. Today I am referring to the smaller prayers of my life – the ones that God answers in one of three way – “yes” “no” or “wait.”

SO here’s what I’ve been reminded of. God certainly does intervene, and when I choose to hesitate, He simply arranges things until I have no choice but to MOVE. It’s pretty amazing really, and it doesn’t always happen this way, but I have learned over time that it usually means that I have something very specific to do, or an exact someone to love.

God will always have His way. Doubt it if you dare.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Mere and I were talking about this, among other things, on the way home last night and I think I would have to agree with you. I think that there is wiggle room in gods plan, and we often don't follow the perfect plan that he has for us, but he is always there like the great shepherd he is, to construct the correct path for us to follow and get us little sheepies back in line.

Todd said...

I agree with Mike. Sometimes I think God is like a GPS, providing turn-by-turn directions for the optimal path. And then when we get off track, He simply recalculates the route. Depending on how far off track we get, the new path may not resemble the original path at all, but he still gets us home. I hate when He says, “make the first legal u-turn” . . . but thankful that He does when necessary.