Monday, March 16, 2009

Start conversing with God


I suspect you already know that I am recommending Susan Isaacs’ new book, Angry Conversations With God, but let me be specific as to why.

Honestly, if you are used to speaking in Christianese (like so many of those I dearly love) you may struggle with Susan’s book at first. Her premise is this:

A Christian friend told Susan, during a particularly difficult time in her life, that her relationship with God was like a marriage (i.e. a deeply intimate relationship). Upon hearing this, Susan realizes that if this is true, then her marriage with God is in serious crisis and so she proceeds to take God to couples therapy. And, boy, does she!

The result is a wildly imaginative, painfully honest tale of her search for intimacy with God. Susan truly believes she is angry with God at first, but I give her credit for her fairness and her candor about her own inadequacies, even as she criticizes the Almighty Himself.

Susan’s book will make you laugh, it will cause you to questions your own "God" stereotypes, and it will force you to ponder your conversations with God (or lack thereof). Start reading and start talking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you lead your online flock, I will obey.

: )

Meredith said...

i should be getting my book any day now, so I'm excited to dig in!