Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Any similarity to actual people

You know how some TV shows have a disclaimer at the beginning? Usually it reads something like, “The events depicted are fictional. Any similarity to actual people or events is purely coincidental.” LAW & ORDER does it a lot, but in most cases, the plot of the show then goes on to closely mirror a current news story. So, even though we are all told to not look for common denominators, we all know exactly where the idea actually came from.

I saw the disclaimer last night, and my mind wandered to a recent conversation I had. Often people talk in disclaimers, don’t they? Acting as if we are speaking in generalities or harmlessly making broad statements, the listener clearly gets our real meaning and often it is a specific message about a certain person or event. Those who are experts at this kind of manipulation/communication somehow end up looking chaste as well. It’s an art form.

I don’t want to look innocent, I want to be innocent – whether I look it or not. I want my talk to be clean, without innuendo or disclaimers. It isn’t always. Just last Saturday, I was asked about some of the decisions on my plate, and I said a few things I shouldn’t have, things I wish I could get back.

NO DISCLAIMER LIVING. I don’t think it’s purely coincidental.

5 comments:

Momof5 said...

You have definitely stepped on my toes today. Thank you! I just wish my life disclaimer was such that when you watched you knew it was Jesus in there. That my innuendos were completely motivated by the glorification of God. I'll meet with my writers/producers and get that changed right away. Thanks a bunch for such an inspiring blog. Love it!

carey f said...

I started to leave a comment, but got into a completely different tangent. So I deleted that, and am merely stating that I don't want to be innocent. I like knowing about things, some good, some bad. And everything I learn - good or bad- helps to make me a better person, in some way, maybe not immediate.
*sigh* I'm still not being very clear!!

Wendy Melchior said...

Carey - perhaps "innocent" was the wrong word choice - implying naive. I should have said "blameless" ?

carey f said...

i can completely abide by "blameless". and this is not my fault, by the way.

: )

Yes, I don't want to appear blameless, I want to be blameless. And it's not that we don't want responsibility, either.

gracias for your clarity on my confusion, Wendy

Maureen said...

I love when people say, "no offense but...." It pretty much means they are about to offend you.

Might make them feel better but there are no free passes for rudeness.