Tuesday, April 21, 2009

LOST

I never watched the show LOST. It always intrigued me, but since I missed the first seasons, I just never dared jump in – until last week.

We were at our dear friends’ (the Kelly’s) home for our annual Egg Hunt in the Dark which requires flashlights and eggs covered with reflector tape. It is an annual tradition, and the adults love it as much as the kids.

After most of the eggs were found (some may still be in forgotten places) we all settled in to play a game. I happened to look up and saw the boxes for LOST Season 1 and LOST Season 2 on the TV wall unit. Hmmm…

I have since had sleepless nights due to my LOST obsession. What a great idea the creator had, and I have been fascinated by his/her depiction of humanity.

In case I am not the only one who never watched LOST, the basic premise is that a group of people are involved in a plane crash and end up on a seemingly deserted island. How they form a society and how each character sees his or her role in the new society is crazy fun to observe. On top of it all, we are given flashback looks into the lives of each person to help us understand why they respond in the ways they do.

I often feel lost in society and I can really relate to how hard and complicated real relationships can be. How great would it be to have flashback looks for the people we meet and love? Just a minute or two of insight, then back to the conversation at hand? Instead, we have to listen and patiently nurture trust with others – even when we do not fully understand their responses.

I’m not really lost. No, I have been deeply found, but the journey can still be a profound mystery at times. I just want to be willing to love – even without knowing everybody's information.

By the way, I’m only halfway in to Season 2. No telling.

3 comments:

blake said...

Welcome to my obsession. Let me know when & where the support group meets.

Larry D said...

Next thing you know, you'll be watching 24, then you're doomed
Larry

johnvano said...

I was really into the first two seasons, too... then I kept losing interest. Maybe I'll watch them all in a row like that someday.

I doubt it, I'm not too good about catch-up TV.