Wednesday, April 1, 2009

O the world changing clutter!

Last week (or maybe before that) my friend Beth told me that I had to watch Oprah. Ms. Winfrey is on a de-cluttering kick, a kick I wish I could get on. I used my DVR to record the late night rerun and watched as Peter Walsh instructed me on my way to organized bliss.

So, he said one thing that really caught my attention. For those of us that cannot seem to find a place for anything, he insists that before we introduce ANYTHING new into the house, we must choose what we are getting rid of – or as he said, “Throw away, donate or sell.”

Interestingly, I got together over the weekend with the beloved 20somethings that I used to pastor. It was so great to be with them, to hear their stories, to hear them laugh, to catch up. Two particularly lovely women named Meredith and Wendy (you can never go wrong with a Meredith and Wendy) are living out their faith in such beautiful ways, one of which is that they never acquire anything new without giving three things away to someone in need. I use the word “new” loosely, because they opt to shop at thrift shops and clothing swaps. They are battling the consumerism that has ensnared us all and I admire their efforts.

Part of living in community is inspiring one another to greater faith. Wendy and Meredith inspire me and I am currently de-cluttering in a combination Oprah/Wendy/Meredith sort of way. I am not getting anything new, but I have decided to give more away. There are a lot of people in need right now, and I suspect God wants them cared for.

Look around. What can you live without? Not your potential yard sale fodder, but what do you love that would bless someone else and who does God want you to give it to? Giving your best, instead of your extra, is a revolutionary idea. One that just might change the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful idea!! I'm going to work on living it. I have too much stuff---and NO place for most of it.

carey f said...

It's funny you mention this, since I am decluttering as well. And since I have a hard time parting with things that seem to have a sentimental value, but no use to me, I will make an honest effort to donate them in the hopes that someone will love them like I do/did. There's a good women's shelter here and I'm sure they could use my son's perfectly almost unworn button down shirts along with some of my favorite household stuff and jewelry and the like.

thanks for the idea!