Thursday, April 2, 2009

Weather I like it or not

After dinner last night, I was helping my son with a “weather project.” The main objective is to record the weather for 20 straight days, including cloud type/coverage, high and low temperatures, barometric pressure – you get the idea. He gets up early every morning, consults weather.com, and then tells us all if we need to wear jackets or not.

So last night we were completing his daily journal (what really happened vs. the forecast) and J.J. was complaining about how long this task has proved. As he lamented his 5th grade fate, he looked at me and said, “I hate learning.”

Before I had time to disagree, he then said, “Well, I like knowing, but I hate learning.”

Still thinking about his words long after he’d gone to bed, I had to admit I agree. I like when I know things, but I often dislike the process of getting there – the learning it requires. Sometimes it’s sunny and clear, but often learning includes lots of storms, high winds and rising pressure. The trick is to forecast, early in the morning, that you will weather the learning and end up understanding what God wants you to know. If you’re really good, you can choose to embrace the whole process, confident that all hail falls together for our good (Romans 8:28 meteorologist version).

Let’s approach everything that happens today READY TO LEARN. Sometimes I walk around in other positions - ready to fight, ready to cry, ready to avoid, ready to party, ready to criticize – but today I will be ready to learn. I suspect it will help me get ready to know.

Weather I like it or not.

No comments: