Thursday, May 22, 2008

Connected

The best thing about starting this blog is that I have reconnected with some old friends, listened to my current ones and even made some new. I realize that I know a lot of cool people, and some are now writing, some are teaching, some are directing, some are acting, some are studying, some are parenting, some are moving, and some are pastoring. When I see their individual names in my Inbox, I am prompted to recall moments and spaces that I haven’t thought about in a very long time. I still have the slip that Debbie West let me “borrow” in 1983. My favorite Tevye (I’ve had two) made me smile remembering our foibles on stage and he enriched me with his appreciation for beautiful works of literature. My college radio show co-host donned a dreadlock wig to work last week in an attempt to ascertain more about the Jason Castro mystique. Misti is in Manhattan just doing her thing – good on you! And I’m hoping to see Amy when I head to D.C. for the inauguration this January.

Connecting is a beautiful/strange thing. Just when I am tipping over the edge into cynicism, God yanks me away from the ledge with these relationships. I sit and imagine these brilliant friends, down the street and all over the world, being patient and kind, refusing to keep record of wrongs, entertaining angels unaware, and using their art to search for truth. I remember the invisible ties that bind us and no longer fear going too far off the edge. The rope that connects us is taut, accountability is in place, and conversation is encouraged.

So, dear friends (old and new and yet unknown), we need to take an honest look at the state of the world and why the church seems to be impotent in the midst of it. Or is she?

Everybody holding on tight? I’m going to go ahead and bungee jump. Any thoughts on where to land? Conversation is encouraged.

3 comments:

militia207 said...

Okay Dr Who is over My couch guest has left for the day with her souveniors have 20 minutes before Judge Judy so i'll post my two cents as an old friend of Wendy Melchior. Worldwide there is China and Myramaar and lately Africa where 14 people have been lynched. Horrors each and every story. Where's the church ? Where's the people in an uproar about all or this or desperately wanting to do something ?

Since i'm assuming most people reading this blog are from the US of A i believe it falls under the category of NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard).... Yeah we all see the images and the horror of these stories on the 20 or so available cable news stations from any cable provide but we seem so far away from it and get the attitude well it can't happen here.

As far as where is the church ? Well last i looked when you mention a church your talking about the building itself. The building itself cannot do a darn thing but the people in the building can if the NIMBY mentallity was not so present.

But maybe God doesn't want us to answer the big huge events half way accross the world. Maybe God wants us as Christians to handle what He considers the small ones while we may see them as our China.

Maybe God wants us as Christians to address issues you see on a day to day basis and gain meaning from them and maybe teach others in some way.

For Example ( and i'm rambling heresorry ) On Saturday i went to a great party at my neighbors house had a great time. But if there is one thing that stuck out at that party i remember most is the way both the husband and the wife just spoke so poorly of each other most time right in front of each other. There was no loud arguments or raised voices they were just matter of the fact conversation with no respect for either party. It was like we are done with the fighting, we are done with the arguing this is what we think of each other and that's the way it is.

Maybe God wants me as a Christian to step in and ask them why they talk to each other like that. Me their neighbor for less than a year never married no kids who doesn't have a clue what the two of them are going through or have been through to step in and connect with them and make some sense of it all.

The way they talk to each other will never make it on the newstations or make national headlines but the problem as a Christian to act like a Christian in a situation like that is just as huge as an earthquake. But for God, He wants us to start there.

Whew 3:55 five minutes to spare before the Judge

militia207

Unknown said...

This is really profound;

Maybe God wants us as Christians to address issues you see on a day to day basis and gain meaning from them and maybe teach others in some way.

How often do we see things that we know are wrong? And how often do we actually step up and speak up? I can only answer for myself... I usually walk away. It's time that I start asking myself why...

It's funny...people seem to have a way of coming back into your life at exactly the right time. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Perceived impotence comes from a failure to hear, speak, embrace, and live out the Truth. I use the capital "T" here because it is the kind of knowledge that affects the spiritual heart and not the emotional one.

God gave us something great when He made the Church, but since it's made up of people who are in various degrees of heart surgery and recovery, we tend to reflect the world, the flesh, and the devil far too often.

Lately it seems that this mirror is reflecting back to us more of our cultural heritage than ever before.

If we're looking for change, we all need to affirm, "Let it begin with me."

** This from the guy with the crazy wig.