Friday, May 16, 2008

Doff Thy Name

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
William Shakespeare, in Romeo and Juliet

My paternal grandfather’s name was Ted. His oldest son was Ed. His second son was Fred. Then he bore Roy. Ted, Ed, Fred and Roy. I have often considered the endless other possibilities. There is Ned or Zed or what about, Jed? My grandmother even had a brother named Geddes, and I can easily see a shortened version – Ged – working here as well. Basically, anything with a short e vowel sound would have been easier to understand.

And yet, although Uncle Roy is unique, the similarities to his family cannot be denied and I included a picture of him and my Dad to prove it.



As I have explored Facebook, I have been intrigued by people’s answer to the question of religious affiliation. Lots of people chose not to select “Christian” but typed in something like “Follower of Jesus” instead. Why?

What’s in a name? Maybe “Christian” is not smelling too sweet these days? Maybe our names are all starting to sound the same to the culture. We can’t hear it, but Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Catholic, and Assemblies of God just may all rhyme. We sense massive differences, but outsiders hear Ted, Ed and Fred.

WWSD? (What would Shakespeare do?) Well, Juliet says about Romeo:

Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. “Doff thy name”

“Doff thy name,” is what many have done. Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The name "Christian" was first hurled as a snarky insult until the early followers of Jesus embraced it.

It means "little Christ"... but there's no biblically binding reason to keep the name today. See how the early "Christians" redeemed "secular" music by associating it with Scriptural lyrics. We're a creative people... the sky's the limit.

Good discussion starter.

Unknown said...

If the name of Christ weren't intrinsic to the term, I'd have abandoned calling myself a Christian some time ago. I honestly believe the church has managed to poison the title, by repeatedly waving the banner of Christ over actions and attitudes that in no way bear his image.

But instead of shedding the mantle, I've chosen to do my best to redeem the title (though I've done my part to soil it, too). In the meantime, I've borrowed a strategy from David Dark (author, Everyday Apocalypse). When asked if I'm a Christian, my response is, "Tell me what you think a Christian is, and I'll tell you if you're describing me."

Like I said, it will serve. In the meantime...