Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mow me over

On Tuesday evening, my friend Karen and I were sitting in the family room solving all the world’s problems when another one came right to my doorstep. Karen’s boys and my boys were playing baseball in the front yard, so when I first heard the knock at the door, I thought one of our sons was either goofing around or had locked himself out. When I opened it to find a man in shorts and a T-shirt, with his hands on his hips, and all the boys staring from the yard, my first thought was that they had hit a homerun – right into a passing car window. Little did I know that it was me who was in trouble.

We have a Golden Retriever named Sunny. To impress upon you how attached this dog is to me would be futile, her overzealous sense of loyalty must be witnessed. She is a kind and friendly dog, but doesn’t usually venture far from my side.

The dog had gone out with the boys and wandered into the next door neighbor’s front yard while they played. It is not unusual for Sunny to be out with the boys and her minimal roaming is not a problem, the neighbors love Sunny, too. I quickly discovered that the gentleman now standing at the door had been cutting the grass of the across-the-street neighbor and saw our dog.

He crossed the street, called to Sunny (who was not near the road) and walked up to our house. He told me how he had seen the dog in the neighbor’s yard and brought her home. I, of course, said, “Thank you,” and acknowledged that I wasn’t even aware that Sunny was outside. That is when he said, “Yeah, that’s the problem.”

He then began a lengthy discourse on what could have happened. He used phrases like, “these children would have cried for weeks,” and “lying dead on the street,” and “irresponsible dog ownership” and I half expected him to whip out a slide show presentation of maimed canines. Once again, I thanked him for his insights, but assured him that Sunny never wanders near the street and is fairly used to being outside with us all – unfettered.

My response upset him even more. He stood on the walkway for many minutes and repeated his perspective at least three times, getting more and more agitated with each rant. When he took a breath, I responded graciously once again, until he began his fourth diatribe. By this time, the boys were staring at me nervously and Karen had come to the door as backup (she’s a good friend, but I don’t know if she ever studied martial arts). I raised my hands in the air in protest and said, “I appreciate your bringing the dog home. I hear your point, but there is no need to shame me.”

He pointed to his head and replied, “Yes, I need to shame you, because I don’t think it’s sinking in.” At this point his color was reddening and I started to feel even more uncomfortable than I already did since Steve was not at home, so I thanked him one last time and asked him nicely to leave. He started to walk away, but kept taking verbal jabs at us, and finally went to reclaim his lawnmower that he had left in our driveway.

The experience made me think about times in my life when I decide to let myself get anxious and overwhelmed by what could happen. You know, the endless, “What if?” questions that can plague your mind and spirit even though none of your circumstances point in that direction? As embarrassing as this is to admit, years ago I went through a phase of, “What if Steve leaves me?” after two of our good friends abandoned their marriage, but only one saw it coming. I spent time and energy pondering the possibilities, instead of letting Steve assure me that all was well between us and always will be. I asked him what-if questions and speculated about his feelings and started to wonder if I really knew him. I wasn’t really suspicious of Steve, but I was afraid and shocked by what had happened to the friends we knew and loved, and it took some time to sort that out inside myself. I was plagued with what-ifs, until God reminded me of what is.

After I gave it more thought, I realized that the man may have lost a dog at one point. Perhaps he had a Golden Retriever that ran into the street, so he is anxious for all other dogs to be safe. We never really know what is behind someone’s words and behaviors, and it is hard in the heat of the moment to mentally review all the possibilities. Our best response is always grace.

But for today, let God remind both you and me just WHAT IS:

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.


Proverbs 3:5&6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

4 comments:

militia207 said...

This post reminds me of one of your most asked questions: " At the first sign of trouble i.... fill in the blank "

Could you imagine what the response would have been from the man if during his rant of what could have happend to the dog you placed your hands on Sunny and prayed/praised God how well He has protected Sunny all these years from all the terrible things that could happen ????

Great pic of Sunny BTW

militia207

Anonymous said...

I work on this issue with God alot. I am sometimes consumed by the "what if's," and like you sometimes torture my husband (yes, I have waken him up in the middle of the night to ask him, "what if," of "do you?") I will print out these verses to hang on the bathroom mirror to read every day!

I'm sure the man's intentions were good, but he does sound a little over the top.

Mike said...

I have had many talks with god about that... the trust thing doesnt come easy... but then again it doesnt with people anyway so... whatever that means haha.

and on the dog thing, dogs are smart... for the most part. I mean he stays away from the street, he knows something ba happens there, so he doesnt go. My old dog was smart the other way, we used to let her roam the entire city, and she would never get hurt, people would see us occasionally walking the dog and they'd be like, "I see her all over the place! Thats your dog?!" She knew to look both ways when crossing the street literally haha.

Susan Isaacs said...

What is his address? I'd like to FedEx him a pile of dog poo.