Friday, June 20, 2008

Yet another rant, but a patriotic one

We are bound to talk politics this year due to the fact that we are electing a new President. I was wary of diving right in, but then again, I figured I might as well just offend the core of who we are first, then we can discuss candidates later.

The hoopla during the recent primary season about American flag lapel pins is still amusing me. Just yesterday, when I got out of the shower, I realized that I had failed to grab a clean towel and ran to the pile of as-yet-unfolded laundry that lives in my bedroom. The first towel I saw was one of our pool towels that looks like an American flag. As I patted off the water, I wondered if it is a crime to dry my rear with Old Glory.

Now don’t get mad. I know how blessed I am to live in America and I really do appreciate the sacrifices that American soldiers have made to insure our safety. I have wept as mothers found out their sons died in battle. Sometimes, when I hear our National Anthem, and I think about our fight for Independence, I do feel that tenacity that we believe marks the American spirit.

But, as hard as it is for we evangelicals to grasp, being an American and being a Christian are two very different things. As a matter of fact, the two ideas are often at odds with each other. I do not want to pledge allegiance to a flag, I pledge allegiance to God and His kingdom come. When we sing, “God Bless America” I wonder why we feel so entitled. Does God really prefer us over the rest of the world? C’mon.

I recently read a very interesting quote. The writer wants to meet George W. Bush. "A lot of what I want to talk to him about is faith. Because I try not to judge, but I really don’t understand the notion of a pro-capitalist, pro-death, pro-war Christian. To me, that just seems like a vegetarian who eats a burger" (Moby).

I hear all the arguments about “freeing the people of Iraq from an evil regime,” as if that makes what we have done seem righteous. Once again, though, I consider Jesus. He was born and lived under one of the most abusive and oppressive governments in all of history – both the Romans and His own Jewish leaders. Consider how Herod ordered the murders of all male infants under two years of age - talk about a terrorist! Did Jesus come to earth, spend His time training an army, and “compassionately” free people from an abusive system with violence? No, He gave them a glimpse of how to change the whole world from the inside out, not take up arms to produce a fleeting change in His little piece of real estate. Compassionate violence is like a priest with a girlfriend (okay, bad example, but I couldn’t think of anything as good as the vegetarian/burger thing).

Jesus obviously thought His own personal safety was a secondary notion to promoting peace, because He died as a result of His ideals. That may be the problem here too. What if we're too scared to be peaceful? What if our allegiance to the flag is really the way we hide our fear? “America, strong and true!” If we’re not the strongest, we may get hurt, right? Nobody wants to get hurt. “Live the American dream!” Nobody wants their way of life to get hurt. “Canada: America’s hat!” Nobody wants to be the underdog.

Nobody but Jesus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being Christian and being American are two very different things... thanks for saying that. As a Christian, I am no longer a citizen here, I am an ambassador here for a wholly different kingdom. The apostle Peter taught me that. I think those of us who are viewed as "conservatives" (I am one, but I do hate labels) would do well to remember this. As for the war, knowing the facts has become increasingly difficult these days (don't know who to blame for that, but neither the administration nor the press have helped much), so it's hard for me to have an informed opinion on it. But I'm glad we're talking about it. That's a good thing.

Todd said...

I was going to start by saying, "I respectfully disagree," but because it's possible my Google brain is confused, I'll ask for clarification. Being American and being Christian are two different things, but what does "very different" mean? Does "very" imply inconsistent?

Are you saying a prayer for God's blessing on our country is a feeling of entitlement? Most people don't think God "prefers" us, but certainly believe he has blessed us. Just as you said, you are blessed to live here.

Also, are you saying actions not specifically demonstrated by Jesus himself are inconsistent with His teaching? For example, physical violence of any kind is a sin? What if you felt we really were defending ourselves and our country? What about defending a family member from a physical attack?

And are you agreeing with the quote about capitalism? Can't I beat my competition, negotiate the best deal for my company, fire employees, make more money, etc. and be perfectly consistent with Jesus?

You don't want us to be more like Canadians, do you? (That was a joke. No offence to our friends.) Or maybe I can't joke anymore because Jesus didn't do it in the Bible. :)

Please help.

Wendy Melchior said...

WOW. All great questions and thoughts. I will try and give you my perspective and we'll go from there.

YES, I am saying that capitalism and the way of Jesus are often incongruent. Capitalism insinuates a survival of the fittest (competition, supply and demand)whereas Jesus seemed awfully concerned with "the least of these." I disagree with the "trickle down" ideology, because humankind is inherently selfish and hoards for itself, whereas Jesus was purposeful in His teaching about considering others better than yourself and being outrageously giving with those in need. So, yes, go ahead and make money (not inherently evil) but what do you choose to do with it? Live the American dream or feed someone else? I highly recommend a book called, The Irresistible Revolution, by Shane Claiborne. He will ask you to consider things you never have before. I'd love to discuss it with you.

And, yes, to further aggravate things, I think there is something wrong with asking God to bless our country instead of asking for His care for the whole world. God is a global God - it is misconception that He is looking down on America and favoring us - and if what we currently have IS a blessing - just as He told Abraham (Gen 18), we are only blessed to bless others - not to simply enjoy the fruits of our labors and be patriotic about what we have acomplished. I know I'm a pain.

It seems to me that peace (or nonviolence) was something that Jesus did demonstrate. When Peter cut off the ear of the guard at His arrest, Jesus chose to heal, not defend. NOW - we live in a fallen world. And, honestly, if someone were attacking my children, I would do anything in my power to rescue them, but that is entirely different than engaging in unprovoked war (even though some have tried to use fear for our children to gain war consensus - I think the consequences of our choices are far more frightening now).

I hope we are communicating, peacefully :). It has been difficult in recent years for me to separate my mental paradigms from what the Scripture actually says. I tend to read the Bible through my American filter - with my preconceived ideas influencing what I perceive to be truth. It is an ongoing challenge in my life - one that is certainly not over or completed. Thanks for pushing me and forcing me to think it all through!!! It is a part of being in community - even a cyber one.

AND - I bust on Canada all the time because my family, who I love with ALL my heart, are there laughing. I am the cousin from "the States" and my entitlement thinking has often been challenged. I love them for it.

Todd said...

It's kind of hard to have conversations in this format. I'm having so many thoughts right now and there's just no way I can articulate them here. I so disagree about capitalism, which in a worldly way does so much for the least of these. And I think making money is in some ways a prerequisite for giving. Do you believe in spiritual gifts? I don't agree with the war actually, but I don't think war is inherently a sin. I was asking what you thought about war if it was somehow justified in your mind. I guess we never defined the word blessing, but it sounds like you agree that if what we have is a blessing, he is giving us more than anyone else. Not that he's favoring us in general; he's just blessing us with whatever it is we have more than others.

And a couple more things, I disagree that you're a pain. I don't really know what you were talking about there. And yes, we are communicating peacefully. I can't remember ever getting upset or offended by the exchange of ideas.

Tell you what, I'll read Claiborne's book and then we can continue. I already know it's anti-american propaganda, but I'll read it with an open mind.