Thursday, June 5, 2008

Upping the Ante

Yesterday, I told you I was out of sorts. That is still true, but I discovered something very interesting. I looked up the origin of the phrase “out of sorts” because I realized that even though I know how I feel, I don’t know why.

There are several theories about where the phrase came from, but one of the more probable explanations is that it has something to do with playing cards. A pack that hadn’t been shuffled was said to be out of sort and not suitable for playing with.

Of course, being the pastor type, I immediately thought of the fabulous sermon illustration here. “Open your Bibles to the book of James. Consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds, because if your deck does not get shuffled from time to time, you will end up out of sorts.” Sheer genius.

I am not much of a card player. My cousin’s son (my second cousin? once removed? I can never figure that out) keeps inviting me to play poker with him on Facebook, but I doubt I’d fare very well. I like Pinochle, but I hardly ever play and must be reminded of the rules every time I do. Gertrude, my maternal grandmother, was an avid Bridge player, but she never taught me and then she died.

I am, however, a betting girl. I don’t actually do it with cash, but I almost always have little wagers going on with myself or I say to my husband and kids, “Wanna bet?”

If I were to wager on my current mood, I would bet that something is going on with me, something more than just a bad day. I have no idea what it is yet, but being out of sorts is kind of exciting, isn’t it? Beyond the funk and distress, after the questions and searching, past the fear and angst, there is the thrill of being different as a result of it all. As corny as it sounds, when my life feels wrong, God always shows me a new way to be.

Does God do the shuffling so that I will see? You ask a great question. I don’t know. There is evidence that proves He reaches His long arm out of the sky and plays Tonka toys with our lives and there is evidence that insists that He set the world (and His plan) in motion and does not intervene.

But, just in case it's the long arm thing, “Hey, God? It's Your turn. Go fish.”


1 comment:

Brad said...

Great Post. I love the idea of being "out of sorts" is Gods way of moving us past our comfort zone. God bless.