Monday, November 3, 2008

A.D.D.D.D.D.

Today is one of those days when I am sure I could be diagnosed with A.D.D. There is so much going on in the world, in our country and in the church that my mind is spinning and unable to focus. I heard a sermon yesterday that could be considered a study in contradictions and when I walked to my car afterward, my windshield had no less than three political flyers tucked under the windshield wipers – placed there by a zealous someone in the church while I sang hymns unsuspectingly.

I am determined to get a haircut this week.

Have you ever wondered why all superheroes are flawed? Superman and his kryptonite, Mr. Elastic cannot be frozen, Ironman and his pride… Do the comic book writers think this makes them more likeable, more accessible to Joe the Plumber? Are they hesitant to make one like God or are the built-in imperfections simply a device to add suspense and drama? I mean, if there was no kryptonite, the only thing stopping Superman would be his nerdy alter ego. I bet Clark could be cooler if he chose to be.

Bono puts the Church to shame.

There seems to be a let down here in Philadelphia after the excitement of last week. Kind of like a city-wide hangover and most of us are pinching ourselves repeatedly to assure ourselves that we really won The World Series. Who named it The World Series by the way? Don’t you think The North American Series would be so much more honest? No one seems to notice the lie.

I think James Dobson owes the Christian community an apology after his 2012 letter.

My vacuum cleaner stopped working last night which is a very serious issue in a home with three kids, a Golden Retriever and two cats. It is an Oreck, and I normally love it, but it is temporarily disappointing. I say “temporarily” because I am essentially an optimist and because I know where the nearest Oreck repair shop is. Healing is often a combination of prayer coupled with knowing good doctors. Miracles happen every day, but you’ll miss them if you don’t see them in the most ordinary of things.

I earned $118.00 in my first paycheck.

If kryptonite were real, would Jesus have whittled it into some carpentry thing just to speak to future generations of His power? Jesus just avoided the whole superhero thing, didn’t He? He keeps refusing to impress us in ways that we long for. How cool would flying have been, huh? No, He healed and touched and taught and served and partied and died. Jesus’ nemesis was made of wood.
I’m not sure whether to make eggs for breakfast or Ritalin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make eggs... at least you know what it's made of. :-)

Todd said...

Apparently Ritalin. I hear it increases productivity in adults. I hear the same thing about crystal meth so on second thought, maybe stick with eggs. I read an article that said the reason us old people can’t remember anything is that our brains are losing their ability to focus, kind of like A.D.D.

Btw, I’m voting for the maverick, Dyson. Oreck talks a good game, but I don’t want to go back to the failed liberal dirt bag policies of the past.

Mike said...

You have just put a huge smile across my face with the image of Jesus whittling a piece of Kryptonite....I think that is by far the best thing I heard all day haha.