Thursday, November 27, 2008

Time to give thanks

Yesterday, a friend of mine from my kids’ elementary school called me on the phone to check and see how we were all feeling (much better, by the way). As we talked for a couple of minutes, I asked where she was spending Thanksgiving. Her answer was thus: “We are headed to my in-laws, but first we are sharing a turkey with the homeless. I heard about a shelter that was asking people to cook a turkey and bring it to share. So, I cashed in a free turkey coupon I had, and we are going over there to serve and eat early in the day.”

I told her how thrilled I was that they were making this choice and she said, “Well, I read your blog.”

Thank you so much. I welled up with tears after we hung up. It may have been because I am exhausted after a vomit filled week, but I don’t think so because I am welling up now.

You know how we all walk around telling each other what we are thankful for? We thank God for good health and for families and for jobs and the list goes on. We join “Thankful” groups on Facebook and create updates intended to praise God for His goodness.

Well, this year (and I don’t just mean today) instead of just being thankful, what if we started doing thankful?

I wonder how many churches had Thanksgiving eve services last night and people were asked to stand up and express what they are thankful for. Not a bad thing, but what if we did thankful instead of said thankful? Sort of like, “God, You have been so good to me. I want to show you how thankful I am by demonstrating Your faithfulness in the world.” Put your turkey where your mouth is and be the answer to someone’s prayer.

Assigns all new meaning to “give thanks,” doesn’t it? It’s time to give thanks.

No comments: