Thursday, November 20, 2008

T, T & T

We have “twin churches” in our town. It is not difficult to discover how they got the nickname, because they appear to be identical in every way, except that they face one another from opposite sides of the same road and they are affiliated with differing denominations.

One of them has a nifty little sign out front with a thought-provoking saying that changes weekly. Today, as I drove past, I read a phrase I have seen many times before. It said, “We give our time, talent and treasure to God.”

Last time I saw this particular phrase, it was in a handbook outlining and encouraging church volunteerism and stewardship. For those of you who are not savvy in institutional realities, the church needs a lot of help to maintain its overhead – which, of course, begs the question, “How does God feel about the church’s overhead?”

It’s kind of crazy, but when I have questions like this, I turn to the Handbook of God to see if I can achieve some clarity. Here’s what I know so far:

When I feed someone, I have given my time to God.

When I write an article that raises awareness about the plight of abused prisoners, I have given my talent to God.

When I buy a needy child a winter coat, I have given my treasure to God.

I’m still not sure about air conditioning bills and narthex wallpaper.

But I’ll keep looking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The local church is the best hope for the world. Is it flawed in many cases? Yes !!!!!

It seems Acts has some things to say about the church.

Wallpaper is not one of them I grant you.

Todd said...

AIG has been widely criticized for how much money they’ve spent entertaining clients. There’s no doubt that it’s a lot of money, now taxpayer money, but it’s an effective way of doing business. Now as an owner of AIG, I want them spending that money for the expected return, regardless of how excessive it looks. If wallpaper and a comfortable climate help to bring people into church, so that they can then be sent back out to feed people, write articles, and buy coats, then I’m all for overhead.

Wendy Melchior said...

Well... I don't even know where to begin. "Local church is the hope of the world..." Considering the number of local churches (drive down ANY Main Street in ANY town) one would expect the world to look very different.

The "corporate approach" (the AIG illustration) makes me break out in hives (not you, Todd, the well-known church model). Let's be perfectly honest. How many well decorated churches are TRULY creating grass roots disciples that are out in the streets?? Again, the world would look different if that were really true, I think. Besides, why encourage a consumer mentality by "bringing" them with climate and decor? Isn't it somehow false advertising being so contrary to what Jesus was preoccupied with?

Wendy Melchior said...

P.S. The church in ACTS was organic and cooperating with God in the streets. Met in homes - no overhead at all. Resources were used to give to anyone as they had need. Yes, a council was formed - but for what?? To feed widows. How many of our committees spend their time leading truly gospel driven ministries - the kind that directly mirror Christ's activities and commands?

Wendy Melchior said...

P.S.S. (yes, I know I have a commenting addiction today) I would suspect, or perhaps it's more like HOPE, that those who are spending time with the kind of folks that Jesus spent time with, would actually feel uncomfortable in a high overhead church. There is just something too incongruent about it all.

Todd said...

Wow, this wasn’t the response I was expecting. I was trying to make the point it’s not really the overhead in itself that’s the problem; it’s the dysfunctional church. But I think I understand correctly that you really do have a problem with overhead. First let me say that I attend a high overhead church, and yes, I’m uncomfortable. Not because of the overhead so much, but because of the inward focus of the overhead. So I guess my original point was purely theoretical because you’re right, how many high overhead churches are “grass roots”? So regarding overhead itself. To be a little facetious, I doubt the first century Christians had issues with the lack of air conditioning and wall paper. But 21st century Christians and non-Christians do. So we can agree about the way the world should be. The question is, what do we do given that the world is not the way it should be. Do we want people to come to church? Or only the counter-culture people? Who wants to go to a hot ugly church building or home? Who would invite their friends and family to a hot ugly church? I’m not advocating overhead. I’m just saying that we can accept and adapt to the world we live in. And although I’ve probably said too much, I have to say one more thing. I live in Orlando. Maybe it was the air conditioning example that got to me. I would have been just fine without wall paper. :)