Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Comment Code of Courtesy

We really have a great group on this blog, but I read others - even Christian ones - that make me shudder because of the way we treat one another with the things we write. I have a great friend named Dave (a former church partner in crime) who posted this note and I am reprinting it. I did not ask permission, so I'm hoping that he read yesterday's post about forgiveness.

Preach it, brother Dave:

I will express myself with civility, courtesy, and respect for every member of the human race, especially toward those with whom I disagree—even if I feel disrespected by them. (Romans 12:17-21)

I will express my disagreements with other community members' ideas without insulting, mocking, or slandering them personally. (Matthew 5:22)

I will not exaggerate others' beliefs nor make unfounded prejudicial assumptions based on labels, categories, or stereotypes. I will always extend the benefit of the doubt. (Ephesians 4:29)

I will participate in community accountability by rating posts up or down based not on what ideas are expressed but on how they're expressed, and will flag posts that violate these rules of conduct. (Proverbs 12:18)

Imagine if the last election cycle would have been conducted by these rules. Did any campaign even come close? Does any church family come close?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this relates to the discussion... unfortunately.

http://winningthroughlosing.blogspot.com/2008/11/christians-behaving-badly.html