Friday, November 14, 2008

Working it out

I had the most interesting conversation with my middle child, JJ, yesterday. The business, where I ineptly work part-time, is owned by the parents of one of his best friends, Corey. As a matter of fact, he and Corey have played baseball together, gone to school together and hung out all summer together for a couple of years. Both boys are great kids and great friends.

JJ asked me yesterday morning, “Are you going to keep working there?”

“Yeah,” I said. “I like it.”

“It’s kind of weird though, Mom.”

“Weird how?” I asked.

“Well, it’s hard to explain at school that you work for Corey’s parents,” he admitted.

“Why is it hard?” I waited.

“Well, you used to be a pastor and then I told people you were becoming a writer.” Now he waited.

I considered how to answer my son. My first impulse was to say something like, “I am becoming a writer, it’s just a long process…” or something in that defensive vein. But then I thought better of it.

“Are you embarrassed because Mommy works for Corey’s parents?” I finally said.

“Not embarrassed exactly,” he looked away. “I just don’t know what to tell people.”

“I think it’s fine to tell people that I work for Corey’s parents,” I kept packing his lunch and let that sink in.

“What do you do there? Just answer the phone?” he looked at me again.

“Yes, I answer the phone but, you know what? If that was the only thing I did all day, it would be okay. I’m a good phone answerer,” I smiled at him, “and my value is not wrapped up in what I do or do not do. I started working there to provide us with more income while Daddy gets launched in his new job. But you know what? I like it. It’s fun.”

JJ thought about this for minute as he ate his eggs. He took a bite of his toast and asked with his mouth full, “You’re not going to give up being a writer, are you?”

“Nah, but being a writer is no more important than being a phone answerer. It’s great when people get to do things they like, and I happen to like both, but neither one defines me.” I pondered how to explain being defined by something as I searched my brain for any illustration that didn’t involve the dictionary.

“What does define you?” JJ questioned me and I learned he was smarter than I realized.

I sat down across from him.

“Being your mom and being Daddy’s wife are both a big part of who I am. I am a daughter and sister and friend. But the most important thing in my whole life is being a Christian.”

He kept chewing. “So, God defines you?”

“Yeah,” I was looking at genius, “God defines me.” I waited for any questions that were forthcoming, totally immersed in the moment we were having.

“Mom?” JJ asked.

“Yes, sweetheart?”

“Do we have any jelly besides grape?”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great exchange. Love it!

Anonymous said...

How precious he is, your kids are great Wendy! Don't you just love those moments that come along with each of your children?

doug said...

I needed to hear that today!
thanks