Thursday, November 6, 2008

Newness















My husband, Steve, has had a new job for about six weeks. Even though it uses the best of his gifts, he is now working in an area that is new to him. Steve grew up in our town, his Dad was a mailman, his Mom is a nurse, and they all lived in a suburban rancher.

Steve’s new territory is in some of the most depressed sections of Philadelphia.

During his short tenure, he has encountered a hungry, stray pit bull; he has stepped in sidewalk vomit outside a methadone clinic; and he has encountered people of so many wonderful ethnicities. When he first began, Steve was nervous about figuring it all out, but now he loves the new of everyday and eagerly tells us his tales at dinnertime. Just yesterday, he was blessed enough to feed a hungry man on the street.

New can be so hard. I have struggled with new myself at times – and I am a new lover. New often creates fear and insecurity and often we do and say things that misrepresent our hearts and our faith.

I was disheartened yesterday to read some of the updates of my friends on Facebook. The angry and accusatory comments made, over what they consider to be a disappointing election, reinforce what the rest of the world is trying to tell the Church. In our insistence to “stand up for what is right” we have forgotten Christ’s central message of grace. I am starting to believe that the way we communicate truth is just as important as the truth itself.

And, while we're at it, we may need to consider if our opinions are indeed truth.

I know new is hard. It’s almost as scary as different. And yet, God is always doing a new thing in me and He somehow manages to do it all with grace. Of course, He’s not on Facebook… maybe it's harder there.

No comments: