Monday, July 14, 2008

The desert in July

I am in perpetually sunny Phoenix. People who enjoy dirty streets, elitist attitudes and the depression of the northeast, should not move here. Neither should anyone who likes colorful autumns, reading books on rainy days and/or buildings full of history.

I will be here all week as I work on a project for Crossroads Church. Great place, great people. They warmly received me in their pulpit yesterday.

My daughter came on this trip with me and I had five whole uninterrupted hours with her on the airplane. Mia is the most giving child you will ever meet – kind, compassionate, helpful, compromising. It may be because she has two older brothers and has had to learn to get along. My daughter also has auditory dyslexia, which means that her right brain hemisphere doesn’t decode sound in the same way yours and mine does. She is crazy creative, though, and most brains don’t work like that either.

On the plane, she shared some of the insecurities she feels at school. Sometimes, when she is watching something with friends, they all know what’s going on right away and she doesn’t. I sat and listened with an exploding feeling in my chest – that feeling of sadness, helplessness and jaw-setting determination to fix something – as I listened to my favorite girl’s struggle.

Almost harder to swallow is the realization that Mia’s battle is part of what makes her wonderful. Nothing comes easy for Mia, so she quickly recognizes and empathizes with the struggles of others. Her imperfections have produced a wide berth for others inside her tiny heart. I think it's called grace.

So, this morning I prayed once again for her to know that God gives her value and that I will be the mother she needs. Then I thanked God for the things inside me that don’t work.

2 comments:

Brad said...

God bless you for this post. Let Mia know that her story has touched someone from across the country. God Bless

Anonymous said...

Wendy,

You've been writing some dynamite stuff this week!